I doubt you can help with this kind of luck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdcpony

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi! I don't post here much but thought that at least this could give you all a good laugh. Maybe some of you can sympathize with the problems. I am to the point of pulling out my hair if I had enough to grab hold of. Please move this if I have picked the wrong forum.

I started cutting wood after getting married and buying my home with a firepalce wood burner. It would heat my 3100sqft house until the temp dropped below 30* or so. So with a Poulan from my father-in-law (FIL) I started to go to hack away. I had helped one of my friends who is in the tree trimming business and always got a load or two out of it for payment. He taught me some on the saw and was really impressed with it despite it not being a Stihl. It served me for 2 years and then suffered from my usual luck. It took a good fall and landed bar down. Broke it up beyond repair.

A co-worker then got rid of his 034AV to me for a good price. I had seen him use it and had tried it out my self. So with 2 24", 2 20", and 2 18" bars and 10 chains among them I prepared to cut enough wood to feed my wood hungry house. By now I had added a woodburning furnace and had dreams of never needing propane again. So I cut for three good days (which to me is a pack a lunch leave at sunrise come back at sunset deal) and then the front cover of the muffler came off. I turned it in to my FIL who owns a small engine business. I got it back and it ran for a week before it started to die once warm and no amount of tuning would get it to run until it was cold again. Back it went again. Now, it seems it needs a new jug and piston so it sits waiting on an 036 kit (which it already wheres a muffler from)

I grabbed a Homelite Mighty 2 that I had picked up for $10 from a garage sale elsewhere off of him with a newer carb on it. I love that thing for most things, but as is normal it keeps developing issues. The recoil spring broke, then the bar, now it leaks gas.

So my FIL hands me his own Husky to finish my firewood for this year. There is a time limit as I am deploying and had to get it in before April. It cut great too and the weight reminded me of my Poulan I miss so much. It did set the wood in front of the wood to smoking, but it was through so quick it never posed a problem. I was cutting some dead wood when I hear a ding and it gets loud. Sure enough the front of the muffler was missing a piece. I found it and about started to cry knowing I would not get my firewood in for the year. Worse my FIL, who has been so understanding through all my issues, simply laughs and mentions he has a spare muffler don't worry about it. I feel even worse.

The next day I recruited some help getting what I had cut loaded and out. It will hopefully be enough as we got to trucks stuck getting it out. Oh that was fun with 6 kids running around.

No, it is not just the saws. My FIL loans us his splitter and EVERY time I put it in the garage as soon as we are done for the day. Every time it gets water in it when I give it a day off. It has also broke the key that holds the flywheel in time. I fixed that myself, but am mystified by the water in the gas no matter how often I change it, out dumb the card bowl, and store it dry.

Our lawn mowers always seem to go out on us in one way or another and I have just ordered a new trigger assembly for my wife's beloved power washer. I begin to think that no form of power equipment can survive our house hold. No one knows why they break down, and thank God my wife's dad owns a business that deals with our exact issues (free labor as long as I help him out with cars). It just seems to happen.

Just felt the need to vent and thought you all might enjoy a good laugh. I guess I should put a plug out for my FIL who has helped me out so much: "Doc" George Hendrickson on Scio Rd. near Carrollton OH 330-627-5780. He deserves it.

Sgt. George Clayton
USMC Res

I second the thought and kids and water.Years back when my son was around 6-7 years old .we started somewhere in my pickup,just a few miles down the road the truck starts sputtering and dies.I;m wondering what in world is wrong with this thing.gas hand shows nearly full so I'm wondering????????
My son looks at me and says "I know tank is not empty becuase I filled it up for you dad"
He filled it with a water hose.
After towing truck home and draining tank I explained to him the difference between a pump hose and a water hose..

Yer right buddy, we can't. But I know the feeling.

I can say maybe there is water in the tank so put some dry gas in there. You can add some every fill up and stop with the crappy saws. From what it sounds you got your money's worth and then some outta them.

Yer right buddy, we can't. But I know the feeling.

I can say maybe there is water in the tank so put some dry gas in there. You can add some every fill up and stop with the crappy saws. From what it sounds you got your money's worth and then some outta them.

I kinda have to. I leave for drills this weekend, 2 week AT next weekend, and a week after that I leave for deployment. I think once it is split I will have 6 cords out of this year. I hope that is enough. I wasn't able to gauge this winter how much we used because I lost my job lust before Christmas and sold 7 loads to make ends meet. Yep, my luck sucks.

Sounds to me like a good time for a GTG to make sure this Marine gets plenty of wood in. I've got a Saturday to donate in April.

Marine,
Let me know if you need some help. Your only about 100 mi out. It is nothing for me to come up for a day and bring all of the toy errr tools. I figure in one day we can have enough on hand to last you a winter.

Ray

Back