I filed my first chain last night, cut some russian olive after work tonight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IchWarriorMkII

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Holy smokes, this ???? cuts better than a factory chain :rockn: :rockn:

Okay, probably almost as good as factory, it was a little too grabby and I might have taken my rakers to .30 instead of .25 while I was sorting out the whole Granberg jig... but I was really impressed at how well the chain cut, retained its sharpness and cut nice and straight.

I bucked up a tree that had fallen over recently, and cut a few cookies off the stump playing around trying to dull my chain as quickly as I could in the waning light. The saw definatly felt like it was cutting faster than with ground chains, done by myself or the local saw shop/feed store. Unless I totally rock one out, I think Ill be filing till theres nothing left on my chains :ices_rofl:

The bad thing is, with some chains that cut nice, I had this tree all bucked up in no time. Makes it hard to dump the 600 bucks on a 361... I need bigger trees:blob2:

Ill try and get some shots the cutters when I sharpen the chain again, to see what the filing professors at AS can critque me on.

turnkey4099
Nothing like cutting with a _sharp_ chain. Just letting the saw feed itself while you are looking around, smoking a cig and sipping a beer with your free hand (just kidding but I have seen some of each of those done).

Russian Olive!! Lovely big sharp thorns. I got some free once in a seedling shipment. Planted them. 10 years later after many a scratch mowing around em, they met Mr. Saw.

Harry K

ASEMASTER

ASEMASTER

ArboristSite Operative
rock out

only if I rock out i'll take the chain to the shop to get it trued up and then refile them . I only file my chains one swipe at each tank of gas to touch up this lets the saw cool before I fill it and I find that it takes less time than doing three or four at night. I cut most hard wood will change chains with diff. pitch on cutter for soft wood.

Latest posts