I fired my assistant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Yesterday, I posted this in another thread:

Speaking of firing people, it looks like I need to fire my office assistant. Every single day I have to ask her "How long have you been working here?" when she cannot figure out some simple task on the computer.

She only worked two days last week. Absent today, she wanted me to bail her out of jail (that's another whole story!). She told me she needed $200 over the phone, but it turned into $550 before she got out of jail. Strangely enough, even her own father won't bail her out of jail. I wonder what that should be telling me?

Oh yeah, she failed to put a $100 bill into the cashbox yesterday, and hasn't logged any cash transactions for the last two weeks. While speaking to her over the jail telephone this morning, she denied ever being given that one hundred dollar bill. Later, we found the bill under her desk calendar with a couple of other sticky notes attached to it. Well, at least she didn't steal the money. She just didn't do her job.

Incidentally, I only gave her enough bail money to be covered by her current wages.

After promising to come to work today, she called me around 11:00 am, asking if there was any point in coming to work. I told her "not at this point".

Ok. I give them work, I don't pay too bad, I treat people well. I NEVER call people names, and I am seldom rude or domineering. After bailing an employee out of jail, wouldn't you think they could come to work the next day ?

Doesn't the downturn in the economy and the rise in unemployment mean SOMETHING?

Dude I work for a small city that tries to take care of its citizens by hiring them for part time laborers. You would not believe the lazy good for nothing yoyos we have to deal with. There is probably one out of ten that is any good. They are not motivated to find better/fulltime jobs either. Its sad to see whats going on with young and some older people today.:cry:

sounds like you need to work on your people skills... your are to nice. Use lots of profanity ( especially around women) , growl, grumble, throw things and threaten to fire people evryday.
In this business its good to have people think you are ready to snap and all you need is some joker to push your button.
Put some knuckle prints in the office door and hang a sign on it that says "Don't let this be you!"

Last edited:
I agree with treemandan.
I chase at least one of my guys around with saw atleast once a week.
Crack another over the head with a rake twice a week.
Hire new groundy and go off on them and fire them at least every
two weeks whether i need them or not.
Kinda keeps my two regular guys in line.
And all this without demeaning them to much.

Gotta Crack That Whip!:chainsaw:

sounds like you need to work on your people skills... your are to nice. Use lots of profanity ( especially around women) , growl, grumble, throw things and threaten to fire people evryday.
In this business its good to have people think you are ready to snap and all you need is some joker to push your button.
Put some knuckle prints in the office door and hang a sign on it that says "Don't let this be you!"

Heres some reasons why many dont want to enter our trade!!! real professional!! I bet you dont treat the customers this way.....try it & see if they hire you!!! " Well Bi&ch Im gonna Hack that F`er right there, then chip the F outta it Arrgh, Dam.... so when you F`en want me to start? Uhh ? cmon Bi&ch I aint got all F`en day"

I agree with treemandan.
I chase at least one of my guys around with saw atleast once a week.
Crack another over the head with a rake twice a week.
Hire new groundy and go off on them and fire them at least every
two weeks whether i need them or not.
Kinda keeps my two regular guys in line.
And all this without demeaning them to much.

Gotta Crack That Whip!:chainsaw:

And even more reasons!!!! chase a man with a saw & smack em on the head with a rake......either this is for comedy sake and not serious or you have no biz being in biz.

doing this often will surely have you filing claims with your insurance carrier!! Yeah agent smith.....yep, I said rake jammed down through my truck hood & tires cut with what looks like was done by a chainsaw......disgrundled employee(s) MMmmm now why would you ask me something like that!!

agent smith replies: well the spray bomb writings on the side of the vehicle refering to you as all those wonderful things kinda gives it away!!

LXT.............

Sad story, I would get my books looked over and make sure there are no more 'mistakes' or 'misplaced funds'. Also locks changed, alarm codes, ect. if she had that kind of access. I don't think she was worried about the arrest, sounds like she may have been up to something else. Good luck.

[QUO:sword: TE=lxt;1259124]And even more reasons!!!! chase a man with a saw & smack em on the head with a rake......either this is for comedy sake and not serious or you have no biz being in biz.

doing this often will surely have you filing claims with your insurance carrier!! Yeah agent smith.....yep, I said rake jammed down through my truck hood & tires cut with what looks like was done by a chainsaw......disgrundled employee(s) MMmmm now why would you ask me something like that!!

agent smith replies: well the spray bomb writings on the side of the vehicle refering to you as all those wonderful things kinda gives it away!!

LXT.............[/QUOTE]

Of course LXT,why would you think that serious.
But really in this bus,i have learned that bieng to nice can backfire at times,when it comes to employee,s.

And even more reasons!!!! chase a man with a saw & smack em on the head with a rake......either this is for comedy sake and not serious or you have no biz being in biz.

LXT.............

No, you have to make sure they really aren't gonna come back. That is the message you have to give them or they WILL steal from you. We are not talking about nice people here anyway. We are talking about people who will ruin you with thier stupidity.
I know not all deserve this but you have to know when. What the heck can you say to the person who used to have the keys to your empire and now you are bailing out of jail.
Personally, I would have not given her the money but I don't know her and I sure as **** would not be letting someone like that think I was a sap at any point. Any inch I would give would be gaurded like a mint. Besides, I never had to hit anybody to make them go away.

i love it when the tuff guy gets his azz whipped.:clap:

lmao, ill bet u dont hire any person bigger than u. are u a man or a mouse?

Doesn't the downturn in the economy and the rise in unemployment mean SOMETHING?

It does. My boss is about to dump a nice kid simply because he can get more intelligent people to do the same job.

Driving a van.

The kid shows up, is pleasant to work with, doesn't cause any trouble.

But he's not the sharpest tack in the drawer. He's absolutely FINE for the job. He drives safely, takes good care of the van, no problems at all.

The boss just likes more intelligent people around him. Makes him feel even more superior when he puts them down. :monkey:

Yes, he can get away with this because of the current economy.

(For those who are wondering about the legality of it, our drivers are all with a temp agency. Easy come, easy go.)

It does. My boss is about to dump a nice kid simply because he can get more intelligent people to do the same job.

Driving a van.

The kid shows up, is pleasant to work with, doesn't cause any trouble.

But he's not the sharpest tack in the drawer. He's absolutely FINE for the job. He drives safely, takes good care of the van, no problems at all.

The boss just likes more intelligent people around him. Makes him feel even more superior when he puts them down. :monkey:

Yes, he can get away with this because of the current economy.

(For those who are wondering about the legality of it, our drivers are all with a temp agency. Easy come, easy go.)

And people are asking about loyalty to the employer.

An old adage I once heard, you get the union you deserve.

Surely there is no suggestion that unions are the answer?

Just ask the Big Three in Detroit.

Oh, and ask their laid-off workers, too.

$78 buck an hour to work on an assembly line, and people wonder why they can't break even?

Yeah, I know, they have management problems TOO, but just look at the number for these companies, or many others that are now bankrupt.

Geese and golden eggs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back