I found a mill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat10ken

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was on my way to town for an appointment this morning and happened to see a bandsaw mill sitting in a farmer's yard with a "for sale" sign on it. I made an abrupt U-turn to get a look-see. I gave it a once over, called the number on the sign and the owner showed up 5 minutes later. We agreed on a price, I gave him a down payment to hold it, put the box of ten new blades and owners manual in my car and continued on to my appointment. I pick it up tomorrow.

It's a Kasco "The Saw" model KS-2410. It was made in Shelbyville Indiana. It looks well made and sturdy built, has an 8 horse Briggs, 16' deck, 24" throat (I think).

It was bought new in 1987 for $4250. I got it for $1500. How did I do?

I got the mill home yesterday and did some cleanup on it. The bottom angle iron rail was very rusty so I power wire brushed it, primer painted and then gave it a coat of black rustoleum paint. I oiled up a few places and greased all the zerks. The gas in the engine didn't smell bad so I added new ethanol free premium and pulled on the starter cord and after 4 pulls she fired up and ran good. I pulled the lever to tighten the belt and the blade runs like it was used last week! I just wish I had a log handy 'cause it's ready to cut.

This Kasco mill is a little different from an ordinary mill in that the carriage does not raise and lower, the log is raised on each end by a ratchet then the carriage is pulled through in the usual manner, then returned to the beginning then you have to crank up the log on each end for your next cut. It's not and ideal system but will still be much faster than my chainsaw mill for about the same investment.

I can take pictures but can't seem to get them loaded onto this site. Sorry.

Latest posts

Back