I Found it in a tree.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Critters

Nails, rocks, wire & bullets pretty common.

Smoked a chain last month on a 6" rock 2 feet up in a 24" cedar.

Oddest encounter for me had to be this. I was trimming some limbs from a pecan about 20' up. When the first section of limb snapped I was showered with cockroaches. :blob6: The limb was no more than 8" dia but it turned out to be hollow. I regained my nerves and proceeded to cut the limb back closer to the trunk. This time after the section dropped I peered into the hollow to check for any more surprises. There staring back at me 3" away from my cut was a large snake! :eek: I guess he was hunting a crunchy snack but upon seeing me he went further into the limb. Again, I regained my nerves and cut the remaining limb from the trunk. On ground I shook the snake from the limb. I'm not sure what it was but it was about 4' long, iridescent black with a yellow belly and non-poisonous.

Pretty wierd.:dizzy:

Last edited:

I'm pretty new to this but i have been around long enought to ruin a fare share of chains on nails, fences, bricks and cement in the centre of trees:mad: But the wrost i ever got was when i was blocking the tree after iwas done taking the branches out. I was doing my cut through the trunk at the same time there was a racoon trying to get out and i cut one of his back leg off not the prettiess thing to see. Anyway it made for a good laught at the end of the day.:D :blob2:

Local town forman (now retired) told me about cutting down a big maple in front of the town hall. Wrecked about three chains, tree was FULL of gravel. Thought about it for a while , and realized that when he was a kid (better than 60 at the time) him and his buddys used to see who could throw a stone up into the hole in the tree, which was up about twenty feet. Must have had a LOT of time on their hands back then!:laugh:

Just remembered when I was a kid my father and I pulled a dead-fall tree trunk into our hunting camp to cut up for firewood. When we put the saw to it we started to smell strong skunk sent. Turns out a mother skunk had made her nest in the hollow trunk and had several babies in there with her. We promptly returned the log to where we found it.

:fart:

motorcycle

A few months ago I saw a 1920 indian powerplus chief for sale on ebay, and the front forks and wheel were surrounded by tree! Apparently the owner had parked it between two then saplings and over the years the trees grew together and actually raised the bike about a foot off the ground.

does this count?

The sign seems to've gone with the little gas station and the tree has grown to surround the sign in the succeeding 35 years. It's in SC near Trinity's.

Anybody ever try a metal detector?

Has anyone ever made it a practice to check a tree with a metal detector before cutting into it? I wonder how deep something would have to be buried before a metal detector would overlook it.

The Battle of Britain museum has got an excellent display of an exploded log, bar and a small pile of chain from where a guy hit an unexploded 20mm cannon shell in the timber! I reckon they should have the state of his pants on display too!

:jawdrop:

A buddy of mine takes the cake. I wish I had a picture. But he found a caterpillar D-6 cable blade in a tree.

The guy that owned the dozer parked it and it sat for 20 something years. When my buddy went to buy it (from the widow) a tree had grown up threw the blade and the back of the dozer blade. So they had to cut it to get the dozer out of there to restore.

I see tons and tons of barb wire in trees around here.

I remember when I was in middle school wood shop. We found a piece of 2 by 4 pine with a bullet and bullet hole in it.

I have some small interesting things in trees, but last week took the cake. While climbing a declining red oak I found a mummified squirrel in hole. It was very disturbing. Then his very live buddy came out another hole and we met on the other side of the trunk eye to eye.

While taking down a double-trunk silver maple that was about 5 ft dbh hit something in the crotch that tore five teeth off the chain. Replaced the chain and cut above and below that spot, and split it apart to find a metal slab a full 1" thich by 12" by 16". The homeowner, a 92 year old gentleman looked surprised for a second and then related how he had placed it between the growing trunks as a first step up into the tree house he had built for his son, some 70 years earlier.
Also, while pruning trees in Michigan for my parents I came face-to-face with a flying squirrel, who soared off right past my right ear, and dropped a hollow oak that had a family of black snakes at about 60' up in small hollow.

Last edited:
I was once taking down a sugar maple when I nicked one of the
spouts they use to collect sap during sugaring season. It was
buried in the tree and was about 12 feet off the ground. Couldn't
figure out why someone would take the bucket off the spout and
forget to remove the spout itself at the end of the season.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: CONCRETE LIMB ABOUT 6FT OFF GROUND. LIMB DECOMPOSED LEAVING JUST THE CONCRETE. TREE WAS 2 BE REMOVED BUT WE PACKED UP N LEFT. :mad: 80FT SYCAMORE JUST FILLED FULL. NO THANX

Loads of crap........

this was most recent thou........

poleinjimstree1.jpg

Then theres this one i've shared b4.........

cementfilledoak2.jpg

but the best was a bar and chain left stuck. :bang: Homeowner said the got it stuck and only had 1 saw so they just removed the power head and left.He waited for 2 days but they never showed,so he called me. :ices_rofl:

Found in a tree

...about 6 feet up, on the side of a busy road, under the utility lines.

Wonder if i changed the batteries and drove up and down the road pushing the button if I could find the car?

:hmm3grin2orange:

Lolol!

...about 6 feet up, on the side of a busy road, under the utility lines.

Wonder if i changed the batteries and drove up and down the road pushing the button if I could find the car?

:hmm3grin2orange:

That is awesome Sally! I can see it all now, "Oh honey, I left the keys hanging on a branch right beside da road, see ya for pastsa and wine at 5:00."
Hm, a taxi ride maybe?

DOH!

:clap: :clap: nice going silly who-ever :clap: :clap:

:D

Ok!! heres the best one, a co-worker while felling a pine tree(mind you the mans 60+yrs old & been doing tree work for 40yrs) has a large red object fall out of the tree and bounce off the rim of his hard hat.

what was that red object? well keepin it clean-it was a red rubber D*%K yes thats right a female pleasure device bounced off his hard hat. go figure...

never look up with an open mouth when droppin pine trees. only in the tree realm!!!

LXT........................................

possum

i was cutting off a 3-4 foot wide tree stump a year or two ago... it was old, rotted and had a hole in the top. i didnt think anything of it. i cut through it with my 24" bar and just as i was about to push the top off, i noticed blood and fur on my chain...

i push the top off, and find a POSSOM in it!!!! i cut part of its shoulder and cheek off. it was "playing dead" at this point...

i scooped it out with an ax and decided it was best to- not let the animal suffer... couldnt use the pistol i had in my truck- you can figure out the rest of the story.

when i told the contractor about it, i never got called from them again. he must have been a member of PETA:biggrinbounce2: not a big deal, i didnt like working for that company.

i would have crapped myself if that thing jumped out while i was crouched down cutting off the stump! i ground out the stump and left the possum in the bushes.

Back