I hate knotty wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just makes me so mad! Split just like Elm but it isn't even Elm! Stupid Oak.

I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't split then I saw this, A knot the size of my fist. That could be a issue, LOL.

Exactly why I use hydraulics. Looks like wedge and sledge time. You have fun. ;o)

This just makes me so mad! Split just like Elm but it isn't even Elm! Stupid Oak.View attachment 248452

I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't split then I saw this, A knot the size of my fist. That could be a issue, LOL.

View attachment 248453

It's no coincidence that most of us who heat w/ wood also have a fire pit, that's where THAT belongs, not in your stacks.

248453d1344893894-img04-012-jpg

It's no coincidence that most of us who heat w/ wood also have a fire pit, that's where THAT belongs, not in your stacks.

248453d1344893894-img04-012-jpg

That'd be a toss-up for me. Probably split each side into 3rds and throw them on the woodstove stacks. I have much
uglier stuff to go in the fire ring.

You sure that is oak? Looks a lot like the pine I did a few years ago... Stupid tree that was in my back yard was 30" across, 60' tall, and had 6"-8" branches coming out every 12" all the way around from about 10' and up I swear. Took me nigh on to a month to get it split with my hydro.:bang:

You mean uglier like this?

attachment.php

I just finished up a bunch of red oak. Some of it was far uglier. I cut that up with saw and most of it still
went on the fire ring stack. Sorry, no pics. Mrs. was inside cooking, and I was working alone.

I just finished up a bunch of red oak. Some of it was far uglier. I cut that up with saw and most of it still
went on the fire ring stack. Sorry, no pics. Mrs. was inside cooking, and I was working alone.

I usually won't even bother w/ stuff that nasty, but sometimes I have to split it just so somebody will take it for free.

I usually won't even bother w/ stuff that nasty, but sometimes I have to split it just so somebody will take it for free.

If it'll make an ash and I get it in the stove, it goes on the stove wood stack. I still have big stacks of fire ring stuff.
Sometimes parties break out around here, everyone sets around the fire ring and gets trashed.

If its oak, its goimg to be heat. No matter what it looks like. Fire pit is for the lesser woods.

If its oak, its going to be heat. No matter what it looks like. Fire pit is for the lesser woods.

Heat is a very important aspect of a fire pit. Especially if you like to spend your winter nights standing around it w/ some friends, thinning your blood & slowing your heart rate to a crawl...

If its oak, its goimg to be heat. No matter what it looks like. Fire pit is for the lesser woods.

Kiln-dried scrap 2 by's make good starter. hedge makes good heat, especially a good slow burning low fire at night.
Red and white oak go in there, cedar goes in there, mulberry goes in there, silver maple goes in there. Walnut goes
in there. Cherry goes in there. All of them go in the fire ring if I can't make them fit in the stove. But that's just us.

Consider this.In many cases the wood in a knot is far denser than the rest of the wood, hence more btus, hense worth the extra effort.But with a splitter.Get a splitter if you're getting much of that kind of wood.A good splitter won't even notice a knot.

My yard oak had a lot like that. That's why it took me ten times longer than it should have to split it. Twisted, curly, knotty. Not like those nice tall straight deep woods oaks, those split easy. Just kept whacking away at it. Five cords and change from the branches. If the main tree croaks, oh man that's gonna be a lot of gnarly wood, but it's OAK, it makes it worthwhile.

The big pines here are worse to split unless you wait a LONG time and they get checked deep. I have literally tons of rounds waiting on that. I try once every few weeks..nada, not yet. There's a sweet spot there, day before, still rubber wood, next day, splits easy, POP.

The easiest wood to split around here is the ash and the tulip poplar. Got 1/3rd cord of the poplar (lightning blasted tree I posted a pic of) bucked and hauled back up today, everything that was on the ground. I have to study that main trunk, looks dangerous to me, cracked down to the base, but still attached in places, can't figure out how to fell it safely yet, bar pinch city or splits and falls two ways or?? dunno....

I guess...guess...if I had cargo ratcheting straps I would bind it up real tight above the notching area and then fell it.

I will think on it more.

Back