I hate knotty wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not easy to shame that boy, gotta give him credit for that. We beat him up pretty good for his "thin" stacks, yet he keeps coming back...

Yea, I was just funnin' with him. If we get up near Calais this year I'll have to look him up. Maybe me and the Mrs.
can give him a little help building up those stacks. I ain't usin' no blasted maul though.

Yea, I was just funnin' with him. If we get up near Calais this year I'll have to look him up. Maybe me and the Mrs.
can give him a little help building up those stacks. I ain't usin' no blasted maul though.

That would be a fun time :) Let me know if you come up this way.

Fire ring fuel.

Oversize and uglies. 3 rows, about 4' high by 10' long.

attachment.php

More oversize and uglies. Oh, and the old belt drive buzz saw we used to cut kindling to length. Scarey thing, now retired.

attachment.php

That wood looks great to me. If it is stackable it must not be too awful bad. Now that a lot of my wood comes from a tree removal company my standards on aesthetics have lowered. My firewood OCD allows 3 general classifications. Nice, pretty "sellable" splits of hardwood, not so pretty, knots, twists, larger, but still stackable is "OWB" wood, and finally, the PITA chunks that get thrown in the apple boxes because they won't stack. The "uglies" used to drive me nuts, but since incorporating used apple boxes they no longer do. I just set a full box next to the OWB with the tractor and swap it out when it's empty. It works well for me by mixing with "prettier" wood as it fills in the gaps in the burner and allows you to really load it up when necessary. I agree with the knotty "uglies" having the most BTU's and call them "overnighters" as well.

That wood looks great to me. If it is stackable it must not be too awful bad. Now that a lot of my wood comes from a tree removal company my standards on aesthetics have lowered. My firewood OCD allows 3 general classifications. Nice, pretty "sellable" splits of hardwood, not so pretty, knots, twists, larger, but still stackable is "OWB" wood, and finally, the PITA chunks that get thrown in the apple boxes because they won't stack. The "uglies" used to drive me nuts, but since incorporating used apple boxes they no longer do. I just set a full box next to the OWB with the tractor and swap it out when it's empty. It works well for me by mixing with "prettier" wood as it fills in the gaps in the burner and allows you to really load it up when necessary. I agree with the knotty "uglies" having the most BTU's and call them "overnighters" as well.

Thanks. I appreciate your description. Most of what you see in the 1st pic is the squared up row ends, a little better
wood than what's behind it. Mostly crotches, wild grain. The decent looking stuff in the 2nd pic (front row) is mostly
just over-length that's a pain to cut. The rear stack, piled on a boxed in skid that you can barely see, is mostly over-size,
punky, or has metal in it. A lot of that stuff, no mater how many times you run it through the splitter, just won't go in
the stove. It ends up in one of those stacks or piles.

Latest posts

Back