I have accesse to a huge a mount of walnut wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
better than a snowball... its better than basswood or silver maple. maybe a good bit better than boxelder too. its not as good as ash or oak or hickory

It is good firewood and very easy to split with a maul. I have burned a lot of walnut. I always make a point of getting free walnut home to the woodpile promptly.

Best kind of wood is free. I burn it all. I sell the better stuff and burn all the cast offs. Walnut is right in the middle of the road, IMO.

Gunny do you have 200 cords or 2,000 cords of Walnut or more? Walnut burns just fine. It is what many call a medium hardwood. It produces a fair amount of ash. It appears to me similar to Pine and many kinds of Fir as far as ash production. It burns clean and consistent. It does not snap and pop like some kinds of Fir so putting it into a fire place is OK. Most of my customers want wood that they can put in the fireplace with out any screen over the opening knowing it will not spit embers out in to the room. Generally the limbs are used for firewood and the trunks are used for lumber. The trunks have to removed with a mechanical device of some kind. Most people use a tractor to push the tree over cut the limbs off of the trunk and then load the trunks onto a truck or trailer for processing. The trunks must be preserved from drying out usually by wax. My device for removing the trunks was a self contained winch that could pull the trees into a pile for processing. If your trunks are of high quality then a good process is to sell the milled wood to gun manufacturer. Unmilled trunks brought in as much as $10,000 for 1 trunk. Typical lumber for cabinets and such is valuable, but nothing compares to gun stocks. A large negative was often the wood had to be delivered to wherever the plant was that needed the lumber. For me in California going across states lines was expensive. If you have to haul your wood 1500 miles often is a major factor in deciding what to do with the wood. Thanks

It's wood. It's free. There's a lot of it. Burn it!

Puts off more ash than some wood, but I'd burn it if it was mine!

Of course, you could always post it on Craigslist and make millions! :lol::crazy::crazy2:

Yeah! One piece of BW is worth it's weight in gold. Just ask a homeowner with one in his front yard.

You could make some bucks with the better figured stuff by making 'art chunks' for turning, carving, gun butts, etc. I'm assuming you are looking at logs that aren't worth milling.

No it doesn't burn worth crap. Can I have their address to make sure they don't try to take advantage of any wood scroungers who might accidentally haul it away thinking they are getting a good deal.

Back