I have mystery wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was moving firewood in the house yesterday and came across something well over ½ cord of mystery wood. It was on top of some Honeylocust, under some elm. It's very hard and dense, at least as heavy as the Bur Oak. I don't remember cutting, splitting, or stacking it... and I have no friggin' clue what it is.

It has to be age :laughing:

My wife hates mystery wood.....if this topic came up with my buddies, it would turn into....well Mrs. Spidey sure loves mystery wood......

I figured out what it is... sittin' on top of the Honeylocust should'a told me.
The Honeylocust came from my son's house early this spring... at the same time we took down two big-azz branches from a White Oak.
I was down at dad's place this past weekend cleaning up a White Oak that blew down, and as I'm loading it in the trailer I think... hmmmm, where have I just seen some of this?? :rolleyes:
Dumbazz ‼

I figured out what it is... sittin' on top of the Honeylocust should'a told me.
The Honeylocust came from my son's house early this spring... at the same time we took down two big-azz branches from a White Oak.
I was down at dad's place this past weekend cleaning up a White Oak that blew down, and as I'm loading it in the trailer I think... hmmmm, where have I just seen some of this?? :rolleyes:
Dumbazz ‼
not dumb.. just not thinking clearly..... various reasons.....

I used to have mystery wood but then I got married now I have no wood at all LOL
I've burned things I can't remember cutting, always fun watching the hottest longest burning thing you will ever burn but not ever knowing what it was.

About that White Oak I cleaned up at dad's last weekend... and my el-cheap-o pole saw.

The tree was actually one side of a crotched oak, about 20-22 inches in diameter, that broke off about 10 feet up... and the big 22 inch end remained leaning against the other side at the 10 foot mark. It crotched into two limbs about 15 inches in diameter. I took the center section out of the pole saw and walked around de-brushing the whole thing first while dad picked it up. Then I used the pole saw to cut all the small(er) stuff into firebox length while it was still on the main limbs... even the stuff well above my head. Man, did that ever work quick and slick... all the brush cleaned up, all the small(er) stuff bucked and loaded before even thinking about how to bring the main limb (or trunk) down... and it made it real easy to evaluate. Talk about making easy work of it... no bending over to cut, no reaching up to cut... just walk along and buzz, buzz, buzz. After that was done I made one strategic bucking cut with the 026, the thing made an easy roll, and slid down to the ground.

A pole saw may be a good tool for trimming trees... but I can see now my main use for it will be de-brushing, light(ish) limbing, and even bucking small(ish) stuff still on the down tree. It allows you to stand back just far enough you ain't trippin' over cuttings, gettin' scratched up, or slapped in the face... and best part is no friggin' bending or reaching. Even dad said that thing sure does a lot more work, a lot faster, than he ever thought it could.

Likely I'm gonna' eventually wish I'd spent the bucks on a "better" one... but hey, for what little I spent on this one, it's already paid for itself just in back spasm savings.

Well heck, Spidey, throw a picture of SOMETHING into this thread.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

11054493_859997660726283_3649771389860234522_n.jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Back