I have to ask, Why no saftey glasses??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many reasons for not wearing safety glasses. They fog up, sweat drips on them, uncomfortable,,,,the list goes on and on.

On the other hand there is only one reason to wear them, and it is "I Like To See"!!!

So lots of people make the wrong choice.

Ear protection is very similar.

Bob

Probably because they have never been hit hard in the eye by something picked up by a chain. I have. The blow almost took me to my knees. I couldn't believe that it didn't bust my eyeball. That was about 10 to 15 years ago, now I try to wear bug eyes all the time. Ron

prescription

My prescription eyeglasses I bought as safety glasses, complete with side shields. Ya, a little dorky looking, but I don't care, what am I, some hollyweird model?? I don't think so... so I always have safety glasses on. And I wear ear buds when cutting.

I cant stand the kind with the rubber band...and the "normal" kind with ear hooks push into the side of my head when I put the helmet muffs on, so I always try to have the screen down at least...

Some folks just can't stand the things and take thier chances.

I hate 'em, but absolutely freak out when I get #### in my eyeballs so I found something I can wear without driving me nuts.

Part of the problem is the cost of good eyepro bieng ridiculous, while the affordble stuff fits poorly and has lousy clarity and distorts things causing eyeball strain, headaches, and other issues.

Worst thing is losing or crunching a pair of 60-100 dollar peeper protectors.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Probably because they have never been hit hard in the eye by something picked up by a chain. I have. The blow almost took me to my knees. I couldn't believe that it didn't bust my eyeball. That was about 10 to 15 years ago, now I try to wear bug eyes all the time. Ron

That was what taught me a lesson. I was 19 and invinceable. Almost 3 days before my left eyes vision cleared up[scared the crap out of me]. I never had any issues until I started falling then about every other tree I was picking crap out of my eyes. That was 20+ years ago and I still wear safety glasses today when cutting. CJ

I guess some people don't wear eye protection because they've never had a close call and think it can't happen to them.
A friend of mine lost an eye when his weedeater threw a rock.

Wife beater shirts and no eye or ear protection. It looks machismo and I'm just sure it impresses the ladies.

Hearing loss is the most preventable disability.

I sometimes use the visor on my helmet, and wear Bolle safety sunglasses in the summer.

Personally I don't like the visor, so often I leave it up. It's dependant on the situation, some cutting positions are more likely than others to chuck stuff back in your face.

I like the mesh screen on my Husky helmet/visor/ear muff unit. I HATE when plastic fogs up or gets smeary. The screen doesn't stop the fine dust - which bothers some folks more than others. I suppose if the wind blew more around here, I'd like the mesh less and less.

Thanks to many of the good folks on this forum posting about PPE, I was convinced of the importance of keeping all of my body parts attached and working well. I actually enjoy putting on the helmet and ear muffs - I'm in my own little world, and can concentrate on what I'm doing better.

On top of wearing something over my eyes, I wear ear plugs AND muffs as well as a respirator. Yeah, the respirator can be a pain to don and doff and I sweat like a pig in heat during the summer. It gives the tough dudes in their wife beater shirts something to snicker at though. That's cool cause it gives me a chuckle (why let someone else's problems become your own?). My sinuses don't get fouled up any more and the headaches I'd get from the emissions are a thing of the past.

Quite honestly, the few times I actually get to USE my saws....it's all about comfort. A few minutes of noise doesn't bother me and I'm never in a weird position where I'm spraying chips in my face. Now if I wasn't a 'homeowner user' and I had to do this all day as a job, that would be different, as I need to wear all kinds of PPE all day long at my own job.

Now the weed whacker when I'm cutting the grass? You bet your bottom dollar I'm wearing glasses. Not THAT stupid! :D

When you have a Pro Chain on you Saw Safety Glasses are an excellent investment. However when you have a Newbie Chain Safety Glasses aren't really necessary. Never wore any kind of hearing protection and wouldn't unless I was running a Saw like a Stihl Magnum or one of the older Beasts.

At work I wear my clear safety glasses. They give me head aches, but hey. I can still see somewhat straight. On the weekends when I fall and buck? Nope. I take my chances. My eyes right?

Eye, Ear, and Leg protection seems mighty cheap to me. A doctor's statement from a 15 minute visit the other day didn't mean much when he said "let's do some blood work before you leave" - - - - . But when the statement came in the mail <~>
Office Visit .. $130 /. Lab 001 - .. $104 /. Lab 002- .. $95/. Lab 003 $110/. Lab 004. $12/ . Etc. Etc . Totaling almost $600.

A man can't afford to get himself hurt at rates like that. Where's ma safety gear?

i always wear glasses even if it is just sunglasses,,, i learned the hard way 1 day,,so they are the first thing i grab,,as far as hearing protection,,i am 70% deaf already,, so i don't use hearing protection

You know, I didn't think of this before this thread came up. I need to get myself one of those hardhats with the screen instead of the plastic shield. I wear prescription safety glasses most times when cutting, but I actually don't need the prescription too much when just cutting. The screen would protect my eyes without dribbling sweat all over my lenses and wiping it on my filthy shirt.

Yeh, thats it!

Bob

Rolling the dice....

Who knows why, I can only tell you I've had enough sports related injury that surgery and rehab is depressing, not being able to go out and do something until I heal, or I suffer income losses on top. Its irresponsible to my wife and family if that happens, so I do everything possible to avoid it.

I do a lot of things by myself most would get a friend to help or hire someone else. I just prefer to know whats done is correct and of the highest quality. I don't have to be in a hurry, so the extra time it takes to do by myself, or the prep work it takes to set up to do things by myself, isn't really a big deal. Tools and equipment are plentiful, and I can rig like Magiver without the mullet.

Not saying I do things alone, cause thats not safe, but my friends can socailize and hang in the shade.

I built the Woodsmoke Lounge by myself, and enjoyed every minute.

I wear as much PPE as I can. Hard hat, muffs, screen, because I'm either wearing my prescrip sunglasses, or clear safety glasses. Probably not shirtless, but a teeshirt and chaps, even if I'm wearing shorts under them, leather work boots.

Im thinking I might try the respirator for the future, after a weekend of bucking, my sinus is telling me about it for a week after, especially if its Oak. Even, when doing carpentry with Southern Yellow Pine and SYP Pressure treated, I'm going to be reaching for the respirator nowadays.

Sharp as my chains are, you're still gonna have airborn dust. Years of running equipment, I've always worn PPE.

Back