I have to ask, Why no saftey glasses??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fogging is a pain with glasses. I still have them on all the time though. Can't get into the mesh shield thing at all. The guys I know that don't wear glasses always complain about either the fogging or the glasses taking a fall. These are the same guys you will see squinting as they cut. I use muffs for ground work, and usually nothing, or plugs, while climbing. Hearing protection is a good thing all in all, but there are times I want to be able to hear even the slightest noise so I forgo wearing them. Examples would be falling tricky trees, snags, and some rigging scenarios while climbing. Bucking firewood is one thing, but sometimes in tree work you need to have clear communication without having the hearing protection hinder that.

If you normally wear prescription glasses, wearing the prescription safety glasses is usually not a big deal. It is the goggles that really fog up. Regular glasses and sunglasses are not rated for impact, but you can find inexpensive ones ($2 to $20) at most hardware stores and home centers.

I like the mesh screen on my Husky helmet/visor/ear muff unit.

Mesh screen is to prevent big chips, and the ends of branches, from hitting you in the face. Not a substitute for ANSI rated eye protection. Stuff gets in from the sides, and when the screen is up.

Quite honestly, the few times I actually get to USE my saws....it's all about comfort. A few minutes of noise doesn't bother me . . . as I need to wear all kinds of PPE all day long at my own job.

Hearing loss is cumulative, and permanent. So your first part, about limited exposure, might be OK. But it builds on whatever you are exposed to at work (plus motorcycles, rock-and-roll, etc).

Eye protection needs to be on 100% - it does not understand whether you are at work, home, or play.

When you have a Pro Chain on you Saw Safety Glasses are an excellent investment. However when you have a Newbie Chain Safety Glasses aren't really necessary.

?????????????

Philbert

I wear regular prescription glasses, I'm sure there better than nothing. My helmet has a screen, need to use it more. The fine pieces will blow around regular glasses quite easily and that stuff is annoying. I'm hoping my regular glasses will provide protection from impact but they do nothing for the fines that get around the sides.

OH GREAT, This again hey.
Pro Chain: A REAL Chain that makes wood chips.
Noobie Chain: A WIMPY Chain that makes nothing but saw dust.

They both cut if you sharpen them right - if you are only getting dust, it has nothing to do with eye or ear protection. Not saying that there aren't differences or advantages to one type of chain or the other - not looking for that discussion or trying to change your opinion. Take that fight to another thread, as I won't follow it any farther in this one.

But, keeping with the OP's question/comment, stuff that gets in your eyes is not related to kick-back potential, or even the size of your chips. Dirt, dust, twigs, chips, sparks, filings, oil/fuel spray, pieces of things that you were not planning on hitting or did not know that they were buried in the wood, etc.

That stuff has nothing to do with chain brand, pitch, gauge, number of drive links, lo-pro, narrow-kerf, full-chisel, square ground, the color of your saw, or anything else (unless the chain is of such low quality that it explodes on contact with wood).

If you choose to cut without PPE, or base your choice on the type of cutting you are doing - that's your call. But basing it a type of chain that apparently you don't even use makes no sense and adds nothing to this discussion.

Philbert

I wear regular prescription glasses, I'm sure there better than nothing.

Even if your regular Rx glasses have polycarbonate lenses, they do not provide the protection of:
1.) lenses that are rated and tested for impact;
2.) frames that are rated to hold the lenses in place when hit;
3.) the side shields (as you note).

If you don't get prescription safety glasses at work, you can get them at most optometrists. I sometimes get mine when one of the discount optometrists run a 'buy-one-pair-get-one-pair-free' sale. Otherwise, if you don't care too much about style, you can usually get a pair as low as $60.

If I get them at the same time, there is less adjustment going between them and regular glasses. And get bi-focals if you wear them with your regular glasses - especially important when working on your saw, sharpening, reading instructions, etc. Did not do that once and regretted it.

Philbert

Blunt trauma to the eye.

A chainsaw reaches speeds of 70 MPH. A table saw... about 170 MPH. My luck to get hit in the eye with a 4 oz. end of a board thrown from my table saw. I was wearing polycarbonate safety glasses instead of a faceshield. Blasted them right off my head and kept on a' comin'.

Got a trip to the municipal hospital by ambulance, only because the chopper was not immediately available. Yeah, local ER thought I had ruptured the eye and would need it removed.

Instead:

- traumatic hyphema
- torn iris
- lens permanently torn from lens capsule
- glaucoma
- traumatic cataract
- dry eye syndrome
- burst arteries on retina
- cystoid macular edema

Three weeks of unbearable pain, and I couldn't take aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs because they interfere with blood clotting and a re-bleed would have been a vision ender. Three weeks sitting in a recliner because lying down could have caused the eye to fill with blood again. No reading, no computer, no moving, no bending, no grunting, no driving, no sex. Just sitting in that damn recliner playing the same old songs on my guitar until I couldn't stand them anymore, moving only to use the bathroom (no grunting allowed) and to go the eye doctor every day to have the pressure checked.

Three years and several surgeries/procedures later, vision is somewhat restored. The cataract got so bad I couldn't recognize my own wife sitting next to me. I got lucky and got my insurance to pay for a restorative surgery down in Philadelphia, where a crack surgeon put in a little piece of springy plastic that reinforced my torn lens capsule so he could pulverize the lens, suck in out with a vacuum and put in an artificial lens. Only a couple guys on the east coast even know how to do it. Otherwise, doomed to a milky white world for the rest of my life.

Now, incredible glare forces me to close my right eye most of the time because the pupil is permanently dilated to the max. Very poor depth perception. Backed into several cars so far, and have to be super aware of where my bar tip is because I can't see for sure how far away it is. Paths in the woods, branches that might further damage the eye, trout stream bottoms, even stairs can be a struggle when light is poor.

Do I wear a faceshield all the time now? What do you think?

Gotta love those mesh faceshields... with safety glasses underneath.

They both cut if you sharpen them right - if you are only getting dust, it has nothing to do with eye or ear protection. Not saying that there aren't differences or advantages to one type of chain or the other - not looking for that discussion or trying to change your opinion. Take that fight to another thread, as I won't follow it any farther in this one.

But, keeping with the OP's question/comment, stuff that gets in your eyes is not related to kick-back potential, or even the size of your chips. Dirt, dust, twigs, chips, sparks, filings, oil/fuel spray, pieces of things that you were not planning on hitting or did not know that they were buried in the wood, etc.

That stuff has nothing to do with chain brand, pitch, gauge, number of drive links, lo-pro, narrow-kerf, full-chisel, square ground, the color of your saw, or anything else (unless the chain is of such low quality that it explodes on contact with wood).

If you choose to cut without PPE, or base your choice on the type of cutting you are doing - that's your call. But basing it a type of chain that apparently you don't even use makes no sense and adds nothing to this discussion.

Philbert

I've used both types and there's a difference. I'd rather get hit in the eyes with lower velocity "dust" than mutant shavings from a real Chain. As I've said before, Eye Protection is a must for somebody not using the "I'm not responsible for my stupidity'.

always have tight fitting dust free safety goggles if anyones like me i have hard contacts and even the finest dust causes much pain.

Pro Chain: A REAL Chain that makes wood chips.

Noobie Chain: A WIMPY Chain that makes nothing but saw dust.

I picked up a couple saws for a friend last night. The guy at the shop stuck a "noobie" bar and chain on one (a Dolmar 420) and went out to test the saw in some wood. I couldn't believe how well that little saw cut with the safety chain on it. No race winner, but no slouch either. I'll stick to my 91VX, but I won't tell anyone ever again that safety chain won't cut, 'cuz it does.

always have tight fitting dust free safety goggles if anyones like me i have hard contacts and even the finest dust causes much pain.

I was on a carving forum, and a guy was telling about how he got sawdust impacted behind his eye and had to undergo a procedure to have it removed. Never heard of that happening, but apparently it does on occasion.

Hearing loss is cumulative, and permanent. So your first part, about limited exposure, might be OK. But it builds on whatever you are exposed to at work (plus motorcycles, rock-and-roll, etc).

Eye protection needs to be on 100% - it does not understand whether you are at work, home, or play.

Philbert

Philbert, I understand that and completely agree. But I really didn't sign on to this thread to debate that. I was just answering the question of the OP, which was "Why no safety glasses??"

That's my answer. Sometimes I may not have the RIGHT answer, but I'll always give an honest one, sir. Always. :soldier:

Z-MIKE

Philbert, I understand that and completely agree. But I really didn't sign on to this thread to debate that. I was just answering the question of the OP, which was "Why no safety glasses??"

Sorry - did not mean to scold you. The 'safety guy' part of me coming out. Thanks for your honest answer.

Philbert

Interesting thread in light of the fact that I went to the optomitrist today. I was grinding a weld bead on newly re-attached 346 fin. I was wearing safety glasses; the big, bulky kind that come with weedeaters. I felt metal hit and thought I got it out. It bothered me a little the next couple of hours. Then about 3pm I was sitting in the barber's chair and it started to kill me. I got my wife to call and they said come on. I have a slight scratch on the cornea. I also got some drops that cost me a $113 co-pay. I haven't gotten the Dr.'s bill yet. I came home and took something for pain, and took a good nap. Tonight it is still irritated, but doing much better.
Yes, when I am cutting I wear Bugz Eye goggles. The last time I was cutting the 346 flipped a 3"x1"dia stick directly into them. I just stopped and thought about how lucky I was to have had PPE on. They don't stop every bit of the dust, but they get most of it, probably more than is stopped by glassses, and they stay in place. An added benefit is that they keep the insects at bay.

I'm not one to preach PPE, and I won't do it here either. But to say that safety glasses are needed for a yellow label chain but not a green one makes no sense to me whatsoever. If someone could explain that one to me it would be great. :D

I don't think it would matter whether it be chips or dust. If it gets in your eyes it's not a good thing.

I wear a pair of Stihl safety sunglasses. They don't have side peices or anything but they are certified safety glasses. I wear them everywhere. They look pretty good actually.:msp_thumbup:

around here with all the plant workers

safety glasses are a way of life. Readily availiable and usually supplied by the employer for use at work and home. I don't work in the plants, but friends keep me supplied. I perfer the wrap around clear or tinted lens over the reg ones with the side protectors. And they even make them with bi-focals across the bottom for close up work.
Three years ago I was legally blind. New lens implants got me back to my old 20-20 and you can bet I protect them.

Last thing I take off at night and first thing I put on in the morning.

Could not find a tree without them.

Latest posts

Back