I joined the Big Stihl club today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was out of town and stopped in to a farm store that sells Stihls and ask if they had any 046/46/66 parts saws. They had a used 066 that they had not gone through yet, but would sell for 250.00. The compression felt good and I took it. Turns out the piston is scored, but I was planning a Big bore kit for it anyway. The only other problem is that the case if broken where the top of the bucking dawg bolts to it. Looks like 1/2 of the case is all I will need. Are these hard to find? When I looked closer, it has the red light. In reading old posts, some suggest that the red light is rev limiting and others indicate that it is a tach only. Which is it? Also I read about these having the dual port muffler cover, but this one does not look like the other dual port covers I have seen. Should I get a new dual port cover or add a couple of ports to mine?

Thanks,

Jim

TopJimmy said:
I was out of town and stopped in to a farm store that sells Stihls and ask if they had any 046/46/66 parts saws. They had a used 066 that they had not gone through yet, but would sell for 250.00. The compression felt good and I took it. Turns out the piston is scored, but I was planning a Big bore kit for it anyway. The only other problem is that the case if broken where the top of the bucking dawg bolts to it. Looks like 1/2 of the case is all I will need. Are these hard to find? When I looked closer, it has the red light. In reading old posts, some suggest that the red light is rev limiting and others indicate that it is a tach only. Which is it? Also I read about these having the dual port muffler cover, but this one does not look like the other dual port covers I have seen. Should I get a new dual port cover or add a couple of ports to mine?

Thanks,

Jim

I think you should part it out...1/2 a case, piston kit, cylinder...that is a LOT of money wrapped up in parts. No offense, but I think you got hosed. I remember when you got your 9010...you didn't even pay $500...You will be in that Stihl more than that!. Good luck with the rebuild!

Josh

sounds like my red light twin. (broken case where top bolt for dawg would go) got it with a scored piston. Mine was cheaper though...

The red light is a tach, at least on mine. It is not a rev limiter, but I'll let lakeside or Thall comment for sure on that.

My red light 066 was a magnum and had the dual port cover. It is possible that someone switched/robbed the dual port and put the stock newer single port cover on it.

I new cover will set you back about 40-50 bucks. I would definately do something to open than monster up via the dual port or modding your existing muffler setup. They like to breathe, and make much more power with a good mod or dual port cover.

TopJimmy said:

Thanks,

Jim

I have a 066 with the case broke in the same place. I use it as is for the hard beater saw, incline work, water work, just crappy condition work. If I have to toss it that is the one that gets thrown. I run it with one outer spike or usually no spike at all. Handles well with a 20' bar.

Hone the cylinder and put in a $40 piston kit see how it goes. Half cases are easy to find any where there is a lot of logging just usually the other half. The dogs on the 066 can be modified to bolt back on with that top dog mount broke off. It depends on how much broke off.

The duel port muffler made a big difference in power and noise.

Dive in and have fun. It is an easy saw to work on and is great saw to use.

TopJimmy said:

Thanks,

Jim

You can't replace the cases in halves - they are counter bored and milled as a set to assure alignment. Do both or live with it.

Lakeside53, good to know. Save a fellow some time and frustration. I myself will live with my broken case because if I fix it then I will feel bad when it rolls down a hill and feel even worse if I have to toss it.

Thanks Lakeside, I saw 1/2 a case on Ebay, but it seemed a little high. I have pleanty of time to keep my eyes open, the Big bore kit is back ordered unitl Jan 7th. Who know what will turn up between now and then.

Jim

Latest posts

Back