I just read the new chainsaws will be much higher $$$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been running huskys since 1979 in a firewood business. I’m retired now but would like to collect some older huskys I once used. Plus some newer ones too. This prediction of prices going up may damper or slowdown my hobby.

I been running huskys since 1979 in a firewood business. I’m retired now but would like to collect some older huskys I once used. Plus some newer ones too. This prediction of prices going up may damper or slowdown my hobby.
But your original post was about new saws... Retirement pretty slow??

I heard the US government is mandating safety chain to be used on all saws by 2020 and that the max rpm’s of saws over 50cc will be limited to 12,000 rpms, unless the saw operator has passed a certified BLM and Forest Service training course and is government certified to operate beyond those perameters. If caught running a chainsaw without proper certification and Accompanied ID you can be fined and equipment confiscated.

Because of these new safety regulations, the chainsaw industry is ramping up prices to compensate for a lack in sales as a result of less consumer demand as most wont be legally able to run a lot of certain chainsaws.

I heard the US government is mandating safety chain to be used on all saws by 2020 and that the max rpm’s of saws over 50cc will be limited to 12,000 rpms, unless the saw operator has passed a certified BLM and Forest Service training course and is government certified to operate beyond those perameters. If caught running a chainsaw without proper certification and Accompanied ID you can be fined and equipment confiscated.

Because of these new safety regulations, the chainsaw industry is ramping up prices to compensate for a lack in sales as a result of less consumer demand as most wont be legally able to run a lot of certain chainsaws.
I think the gubmint has more to worry about than max rpms on chainsaws, and they can pry my mmws 288 from my cold dead hands lol.

I heard before they go after saws they're going after motorcycles using damn near century old technology, claiming to be american made, emptying 401ks of middle aged American men.

I heard before they go after saws they're going after motorcycles using damn near century old technology, claiming to be american made, emptying 401ks of middle aged American men.

Bwahahahaha I hate those oil dripping POS machines. Give me a 1k Sport bike any day.

Bwahahahaha I hate those oil dripping POS machines. Give me a 1k Sport bike any day.

Odd, there are 4 of them sitting in my garage and not a drop of oil on my garage floor. I agree, pushrod V twins are some ancient technology, funny to see how hard the jap bike companies try so hard to make bikes that look and sound like them. I like sport bikes as much as anyone, I still have an R1 as well, but I'm pretty sure the oil dripping days are behind us at this point....

Odd, there are 4 of them sitting in my garage and not a drop of oil on my garage floor. I agree, pushrod V twins are some ancient technology, funny to see how hard the jap bike companies try so hard to make bikes that look and sound like them. I like sport bikes as much as anyone, I still have an R1 as well, but I'm pretty sure the oil dripping days are behind us at this point....
In 2002 I rode HD's shot at the jap twins down at bike week. It's so strange to me that the V-rod never really took off. That whole segment of product defies logic. The story that epitomizes HDs for me happened about 12 years ago when I stopped to hydrate on a hot day out on a ride. My back was to the road, and a bike turned the corner and the rider gave it hell. All sorts of racket, you'd have thought there was an NHRA strip behind me. I turned around and the rider was leaned forward, wrist twisted, but the bike was barely accelerating. All show and no go...

Now I agree with you on the jap cruisers. I don't get it. Now that R1 is a machine ;)

We used to ride with a fella that had a new Harley. Every time we'd stop for drinks or gas, it left a quarter size spot of oil everytime. The thing barely had 500 miles on it. So I've made a joke of it ever since.

Now, what year R1? I'm a GSX-R kind of guy, but do like the Yamahas.

Welcome to the 21st Century, for Sportsters, oil leaks have been a thing of the past.
Sure the 4 cam pushrod design is over 60 years old, however using more modern materials, EFI and such brought it forward.
The lack of crap plastic, the high degree of fit and finish, being nearly maintenance free and the fact it is 90% US made, is why I bought one.
They aren't fast, but having the power curve climb fast just off idle is just fun. Sportsters are very much like the 289 Mustangs, you can tear around and have a blast.
Where can you find a road to run your crotch rocket, as it was intended, without attracting unwanted attention?
I find it funny that amongst the whining about the cost of foreign products, some choose to bash American products.
Perhaps this will spur an American company to design and produce power equipment, like they did 30-40 years ago.

Where can you find a road to run your crotch rocket, as it was intended, without attracting unwanted attention?

Fancy gap mountain, Cana, VA. Willis gap mountain, AARAT, VA. US 104 NC and VA. Cop problem? Drop a gear and disappear. Your straddling 200hp of 180mph . beast. A dodge charger has no chance. Plus around here cops aren't allowed to chase bikes due to deaths.

Good luck with that.
Hopefully you won't become a statistic.

The tariffs, if enacted is payback for years of underselling, in the '70s you could buy a 032 for $50 less than an XL12.
As I see it, you all have feeding the problem.

Walmart mentality.... I try to explain it to people, they say they can't afford to shop elsewhere. I tell them feeding the beast will only put you further and further away from being able to afford to shop elsewhere. Quality has become third in line behind price and delivery anymore. Throw away society, daily funding of China stealing engineering, I'm not saying I don't buy anything made there, but if I have a choice, I would prefer not be part of the problem. I'm certainly in favor of the tariffs.

Does anyone know historically how prices in Europe compare to the US when models are released? Same/similar pricing or is one higher?
Prices in Uk & Europe are higher from new saws to spare parts & have always been that way not only in this line of kit Fuel & most manufactured kit of any order is more costly on the east side of the pond

Latest posts

Back