I learned a few lessons yesterday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUTNDUN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We went to get some red oak off of a guy yesterday. I have about 4 more loads to get yet. He wanted $40 a pickup load so I took my pickup and my 6' x 16' tandem trailer with 1' sides also. I figured I would give him $120 for the load since it is basically like having 3 pickup loads. Here are some of the lessons that I learned:

1) I am out of shape
2) I forgot how heavy red oak is
3) I am out of shape
3) Safety chain sucks
3) New 362 with full chisel chain rocks but still bogs down
4) I am out of shape
5) My F150 needs helper springs
6) I need to make my wife start taking steroids
7) Next time wait till fall or early morning cooler day, yesterday was 94* and 80% humidity
8) Don't freeze water if you plan on drinking all of it within 2 hours, for some reason it wouldn't thaw out.
9) I am out of shape
10) Only do it if you know you are going to have time before it gets dark to get a full load.

I think the 362 needs a little more tuning. With the safety chain on she did pretty good and it was hard to bog it down. With about 10 more cuts to make the safety chain was dulled out so I put a loop of the full chisel chain on it. The 362 did great and I can't believe how much the full chisel bogs her down without even putting pressure on it. Most of the logs we cut up were about 18" diameter. I have about 3 or 4 more loads to get, I just wish it was a little closer to me. I know next time we are going on the weekend in the morning so it is cooler and we have all the time we need so we can take our time. I also need to get some wedges because I was having a hard time with some of the logs with compression, we had a digging iron but some of the logs were 30' in length and no room to get under them to do an undercut without burying the bar in the dirt.

I now have 4 tanks through the 362, I can't wait to put a few more on it and start running synthetic and also do the muff mod. I wish the 362 was a little lighter but I am sure the more I use it the weight will become a non issue. It is tough going from an office job to doing physical labor LMAO. The guy was nice and gave me $20 back since we only filled the pickup bed half full. We just simply ran out of time.

Way to go after it. Nothing like a little hard work to make you feel good, yet humbling at the same time.

The 362 will get lighter as you get used to it.

I'm guessing that oak is still pretty wet. Wet oak and an F-150 don't mix well. Can't put nearly as much on as you'd like. Some of the heaviest loads I've put on mine were from live red oak. Almost feels like the front is floating down the road.

We went to get some red oak off of a guy yesterday. I have about 4 more loads to get yet. He wanted $40 a pickup load so I took my pickup and my 6' x 16' tandem trailer with 1' sides also. I figured I would give him $120 for the load since it is basically like having 3 pickup loads. Here are some of the lessons that I learned:

1) I am out of shape
3) I am out of shape
3) Safety chain sucks
4) I am out of shape
7) Next time wait till fall or early morning cooler day, yesterday was 94* and 80% humidity
8) Don't freeze water if you plan on drinking all of it within 2 hours, for some reason it wouldn't thaw out.
9) I am out of shape
10) Only do it if you know you are going to have time before it gets dark to get a full load.

I think the 362 needs a little more tuning. With the safety chain on she did pretty good and it was hard to bog it down. With about 10 more cuts to make the safety chain was dulled out so I put a loop of the full chisel chain on it. The 362 did great and I can't believe how much the full chisel bogs her down without even putting pressure on it. Most of the logs we cut up were about 18" diameter. I have about 3 or 4 more loads to get, I just wish it was a little closer to me. I know next time we are going on the weekend in the morning so it is cooler and we have all the time we need so we can take our time. I also need to get some wedges because I was having a hard time with some of the logs with compression, we had a digging iron but some of the logs were 30' in length and no room to get under them to do an undercut without burying the bar in the dirt.

I now have 4 tanks through the 362, I can't wait to put a few more on it and start running synthetic and also do the muff mod. I wish the 362 was a little lighter but I am sure the more I use it the weight will become a non issue. It is tough going from an office job to doing physical labor LMAO. The guy was nice and gave me $20 back since we only filled the pickup bed half full. We just simply ran out of time.

man i feel the same way you do. I am looking forward and dreading firewood season.

1) I am out of shape
3) I am out of shape
3) Safety chain sucks
4) I am out of shape
9) I am out of shape

Get more help or get in shape if you can.

In all I think we did good considering we were at it for 3 hours. We just moved two weeks ago and still putting stuff away so we are still trying to catch up from that. I loved the work and it felt great getting the exercise. Next time though I will make sure it is cooler out.

In all I think we did good considering we were at it for 3 hours. We just moved two weeks ago and still putting stuff away so we are still trying to catch up from that. I loved the work and it felt great getting the exercise. Next time though I will make sure it is cooler out.

Sounds like a plan. Going from the desk to the woods is a mean transition. Working in the 90+ heat and humidity is like putting on a ball and chain with it. Early mornings or late evenings may be your friend till the weather cools. Otherwise, lay off the potato chips! LOL! Once you get to 3 loads like this a day, shape will be no problem.

Ah.. a good days honest work never killed anyone. It'll feel pretty darn good once it's all done though!

I haven't always been a pencil jockey. Only the last two years of my life have been behind a desk. I worked on a farm for three years while going through high school and then worked construction and rigging for about 5 years and also drove truck. The worst job I have ever had though was delivering appliances, nothing like huffing crap up three stories to a townhouse community. Figure microwave, fridge, washer, dryer, range, dishwasher all up three stories and about 20 units at a time. Of course they always put the high dollar appliances on the top unit to help sell it and they are heavier.

Anyway the physical labor doesn't bother me. Even though I was sweating like a banshee I loved every minute of it. After it is all over and can see the rewards from our labor by not paying so much to the big guys it will all be worth it. :D

I haven't always been a pencil jockey. Only the last two years of my life have been behind a desk. I worked on a farm for three years while going through high school and then worked construction and rigging for about 5 years and also drove truck. The worst job I have ever had though was delivering appliances, nothing like huffing crap up three stories to a townhouse community. Figure microwave, fridge, washer, dryer, range, dishwasher all up three stories and about 20 units at a time. Of course they always put the high dollar appliances on the top unit to help sell it and they are heavier.

Anyway the physical labor doesn't bother me. Even though I was sweating like a banshee I loved every minute of it. After it is all over and can see the rewards from our labor by not paying so much to the big guys it will all be worth it. :D

are you saying i sweat a lot? :(
.. admittedly , i do seem to sweat much more than the average person for some reason.

and DAMN.. a 16ft trailer loaded behind a half loaded f150 with wet oak? im glad it wasnt my 150!

Next time though I will make sure it is cooler out.

Be VERY careful of the heat and humidity. If you have to be working in it, drink lots of water...even if you don't feel like it. Drink a little Gatorade to. And take lots of breaks.

For the lifting of that nice Red oak, do some stretching exercises to get your muscles loose. And do some after the work is done. It'll cut down on the soreness.

And...congrats on the wood.

Kevin

.. admittedly , i do seem to sweat much more than the average person for some reason.

and DAMN.. a 16ft trailer loaded behind a half loaded f150 with wet oak? im glad it wasnt my 150!

LMAO, I saw the little outlook email popup and seen your name and started chuckling pretty hard. I sweat just thinking about work. All of my clothing was soaked when we were done, and my pants were soaked down to my knees and yes even my underoos <- haven't heard that name in a long time LOL

The old girl handled the load pretty good. The trailer has brakes on both axles. It is an older 94 f150 with an inline 6 and 5spd. Had 65,000 on the clock when I bought it about 6 months ago and paid $1,900 for it. I love cash vehicles and not having payments. No rust either which surprised the heck out of me.

I'm in the same boat. In this southern humidity, I can just stand still outside, and within minutes I'm wet with sweat. And when I'm working/moving, it don't take long for every inch of my clothing to be soaking wet with sweat. When a breeze comes by, it actually feels nice and cool.

Kevin

LMAO, I saw the little outlook email popup and seen your name and started chuckling pretty hard. I sweat just thinking about work. All of my clothing was soaked when we were done, and my pants were soaked down to my knees and yes even my underoos <- haven't heard that name in a long time LOL

The old girl handled the load pretty good. The trailer has brakes on both axles. It is an older 94 f150 with an inline 6 and 5spd. Had 65,000 on the clock when I bought it about 6 months ago and paid $1,900 for it. I love cash vehicles and not having payments. No rust either which surprised the heck out of me.

yea i dont mind sweating the t-shirts out, they are an easy change.. i always bring about 4
its the jeans and underwear that bother me, i wear boxer briefs, and soaking wet boxer breifs arnt exactly comfortable , same thing with sopping wet jeans down past the knees, that is torture. i usually strip down butt naked after and throw on some fresh mesh shorts and tshirt before driving home

i hear those 300 inline 6;s are great, ive never driven one,
my last one was the 4.2 v6 with a 5 speed, pretty crappy unless you were only towing 2klbs or less. now i have the 2 valve 5.4, she pulls great, but i need a bigger trailer with brakes to take advantage of her!

I'm in the same boat. In this southern humidity, I can just stand still outside, and within minutes I'm wet with sweat. And when I'm working/moving, it don't take long for every inch of my clothing to be soaking wet with sweat. When a breeze comes by, it actually feels nice and cool.

Kevin

thank god im only in NJ, i couldnt live anymore south, id kill myself. i hate being sticky all day, there is not one day where my ass/pits/back arnt sweating, i cant make it from my door to my a/c'd truck without sweating, its miserable, i dont know how you guys down south do it

I think the worst part about the humidity is it makes it almost impossible to ever cool off or stop sweating once you started.

Back