I like this mans Ideas mostly.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We called the pillars cribs. I still use them some times. I start the crib on one end and start splitting. When I get a nice square piece it goes on the crib, odd pieces go in the middle, so my cribs are very square. It’s easy with straight grained Oak and Ash. This year I had a bunch of cinder blocks left over from a project. On the paved court they work great just dry stacked. I like the brackets that slide on a 2X4 also. I’m OCD about my measurements, and I make all of my stacks in half cord rows. If I cut my wood 18” I can set the brackets accordingly, 16”, readjust the brackets. My customers never get shorted.

Here are a few of my stacks. The metal brackets work fine, but they are a little short of 4', and I like that to be my constant. The wood stacked at the edge of the woods does take a little longer to dry, less sun and wind. The stuff on the court dries fast with full sun and wind 24-7. We live on top of a hill and it lives up to our towns name, My Airy
20200202_075713.jpg 20200202_075640.jpg 20200202_075528.jpg 20200202_075502.jpg

I think I'll go to my steel guy . I can buy dropoffs for like a dollar a pound they usually have some square tubing in 3 to 4 ft lengths. Weld up something sturdy
I’ve been saying I was going to get some box tubing that will fit a 2X4, or 4X4 tight, and make some real man racks. Just like the cheap stamped steel ones. You could make it so the upright 4X4 slides all the way threw to mak a 4” foot and put a 1/2 inch bolt threw it. Put a couple bricks under the middle to keep them from sagging.

Back