I lost my cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
I have been clearing a place to build a pole barn behind the cabin and had to remove a nice black cherry tree. It's going to make some real nice lumber after I mill it.

-----
This photo shows the size of the tree with respect to the other trees around it:

attachment.php

-----
TIMBER!
attachment.php

-----
Cutting the first mill log with the 056. I really love that saw when it comes to work. Making the top cut before the undercut.
attachment.php

-----
Tractoring the first log off the hill to the mill.
attachment.php

Gumnuts

Gumnuts

ArboristSite Guru
Australia / Victoria / Mornington Peninsula
Thanks for taking the time to post this Carl. i only get to see American Cherry
at a mate furniture biz.
I have'nt struck any here, used for ornamentals Yet.
What's the project plan for the lumber ?
Luv to see some more shots of the mill.....when you get the chance.

Last edited:
7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Thanks for all the nice words guys! I'll post some pics when I mill the log but that might be awhile. I like them to dry some before milling. Besides I have a stack of black walnut, hickory and spalted maple to do first.

buzz sawyer
Thanks for all the nice words guys! I'll post some pics when I mill the log but that might be awhile. I like them to dry some before milling. Besides I have a stack of black walnut, hickory and spalted maple to do first.

Those pics bring back some nice memories Carl - saws screaming, deer burgers on the grill, ice cold Iron City. These guys need to see the rest of the place.

Was that the RA I saw poking out of the rear of the tractor?
Seen your bear buddy lately?

7oaks

7oaks

DRUGSTORE LOGGER
Is the log cherry?

You guys have got me there. :help: I'm no expert and I didn't try to positively identify this tree at the time because I was just cutting and moving trees as fast as I could (not to mention all the slash and stumps).

Since I won't be back to the farm until this weekend I, regrettably, can't run out and try to make a more accurate identification.

I based my initial id on several observations.

First the large upper branches have bark similar to this:

attachment.php

Which is definitely black cherry young limbs/twigs. (not my picture but taken from the web).

A quick glance at the newly sprouting leaves also suggested cherry.

The wood was a light color right after cutting but, within a short time, it started darkening and ended up a rusty red color (the color I associate with the cherry I have milled before).

This evening I went online and spent several hours :Eye: trying to make a positive bark identification but all the experts' photos vary so significantly, for the same tree, that I couldn't even come close. So give me a few days and I'll be back out there and do a better job of identification.

Latest posts