I love my wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Figured out that we burned 150 or so gallons of fuel oil since october. We had a cold winter, with no real warm ups to speak of. Kept the stove going around the clock, burned about 4 1/2 cord. Furnace kicked on some, but only early in the morning, generally just on very cold nights. No, I do not get up in the middle of the night to load the stove. Way to lazy for that. Most of our oil consumption was for hot water. I figure I saved at least $1500. And that's being very conservative. Probably over $2k. Stove has just about paid for itself in 3 years. :D

I guess I burned close to 4 cords this winter. The wife and I are so used to the wood stove that if propane was free I would still burn the stove. It has the effect of thinning a person's blood to the point that you freeze with conventional heat. Very relaxing to sleep in the easy chair next to the wood stove on a cold winter's night!

Right there with you, maybe $60/mo electric, year 'round. We do alot of laundry :). Wood heat + no AC = CHEAP BILLS!

I live a stone's throw from the water and have a ceiling fan in every room, so I can just leave the little window ac for the very hottest weeks. I didn't know how much I needed ceiling fans until we installed them.

I heat exclusively with wood and will end up around 10.5 to 11 full cords, heating this screened in porch I call a house. Only LP is for the water heater, which uses about 4 100 pounders a year.

We have 4 kids, so we still use more electricity than I would like. But, since we got our stove, our average winter electric bill dropped from $650/month to $175. I would guess most of our juice goes to heat the water between showers and laundry. We paid about $1400 for our stove. We made that back in the first 3 months we used it.

Wood stove

I got tired of paying about $700 dollars every other month for propane, and I live in San Diego. So I bought a small wood stove from Ace Hardware free shipping around $550 when I finished installing the triple wall vent and the single wall vent in the house it was a little more than $1,000. The little stove really heats up half of the home I use the central heat on fan only to spread through my small 1500' home. I have plenty of eucalyptus I scrounge around town. looking forward to saving money. The stove heats up the house really warm line 75 degrees in the used to be cold part of my home. I like the feel of the wood heat and watching the fire David:msp_smile:

I didn't use any kerosene to heat my garage this winter! :)
Not that I heat it 24/7 but did seem to use it quite a bit this year.
I had a great time using my outside wood furnace I put together.
No I have to work on wood for next winter! LOL

I live in Maine and only used about $40 worth of heating oil. That was only when it was 30 below and I let the furnace kick in because I was worried about the pipes freezing in my double wide. The rest of the time I heated exclusively with wood. I bought 5 cord of tree length for $450 last summer. Not bad heating my house in Maine for a whole winter for under $500.

I live in Maine and only used about $40 worth of heating oil. That was only when it was 30 below and I let the furnace kick in because I was worried about the pipes freezing in my double wide. The rest of the time I heated exclusively with wood. I bought 5 cord of tree length for $450 last summer. Not bad heating my house in Maine for a whole winter for under $500.

What did you burn?

I moved into this house in April so I wasn't able to probably dry any wood. I am hoping over the next couple years as I am able to actually get some wood dried out, I will be able to use less wood than I did this year. The stove is a brand new EPA wood stove, and it should be able to burn just a stick or two of dry wood at a time. This winter with the wetter wood, I had to have it pretty much full all the time to keep it going. The red oak was pretty wet. I probably should have just stacked that seperately and not even burned it this year.

Some of the old timers around here will mix in a piece of green wood with their dry stuff overnight just to keep a longer burn, but I'm not really a fan of it. The ones I know who do it get a good hot fire burning in the morning. They say it burns off the creosote accumulated overnight. Again, I would never advise anyone to actually do that...it's just what a few people around here do.

I guess I burned close to 4 cords this winter. The wife and I are so used to the wood stove that if propane was free I would still burn the stove. It has the effect of thinning a person's blood to the point that you freeze with conventional heat. Very relaxing to sleep in the easy chair next to the wood stove on a cold winter's night!

Been many a night that I woke up at 1 or 2 in the morning in the easy chair beside the stove. One of the most relaxing things a body can do. Probably do it tonight, if I can beat the dog to the chair.

Back