I need an axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikFries

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just started using a smoker to bbq and i need an axe to split logs into smaller chunks. Any suggestions. thanks

Erik

noted thanks for the heads up

I was thinking of getting a Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatch or something like that. I really have no clue so any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
I have both the Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet & the Large Splitting Axe.

You won't be doing any splitting with the hatchet but it is nice for splitting up fatwood or frizzing up kindling.

For splitting duties instead of the Large Splitting Axe, I think that I would rather have both the Splitting Hatchet (for making kindling) and the Splitting Maul.

The Large Splitting Axe is not very effective on larger or tougher splitting and almost too big for making kindling.

I have been very happy with how well my two Gransfors products hold an edge though.

probably oak and apple maybe some hickory. ill probably buy it in logs and then break it down my self to chunks.

Those are great cookers. I compete on them, I have three. Use charcoal for heat and a couple of orange size chuncks of flavor wood. I prefer pecan. Are you going to the Royal in KC? I have more cookers than saws.

probably oak and apple maybe some hickory. ill probably buy it in logs and then break it down my self to chunks.

Fiskers makes a good ax, that stays sharp. You probably want a mall, for more weight.

If you are really interested in AX patterns, you might look at this:
http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/LIBRARY/FSPubs/ax/ax2.pdf

The advice about small pieces was also very good. You might also want to try other woods. Most fruit and nut woods work great. Depends on the flavor you want. Have had folks at home tell me that once you try Pecan, you will not cook with anything else.

Hal

Erik

Best not to smoke the bark, only the wood.

I love a good smoke up, super in the park now wont allow it.

When I was in my little ole place I had a great smoke up and even the police were called! Dont stoke the smoke too high.

No particular advice on splitting the logs, but Fiskars makes a fine little hatchet-sized splitter that might be of interest to you. It isn't an ax or a hatchet, but more like a mini-maul. The one I bought has been a GREAT tool for use with a backyard fire pit where you may want to knock down a small log into a smaller one, all without leaving your folding chair, so it would probably come in handy with a smoker, too. It splits much, much better than any hatchet I've ever owned.

I just started using a smoker to bbq and i need an axe to split logs into smaller chunks. Any suggestions. thanks

Erik

I like my Chopper 1 axe it is the best I've found for splitting wood, works even better if the wood is real cold. And it won't cost you a arm and leg like those bruks axes your looking at. goto the link below to buy one online. you will like it.

http://factoryone-store.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

I've got a Collins single bit axe. It's a good tool, and is not too big for kindling. I thought about getting a double bit axe, but like the utility of the single bit for camp duties (pounding tent stakes with the flat side). I think mine was about $20 at HD. Not a huge investment, and you can always upgrade down the road.

I like my Chopper 1 axe it is the best I've found for splitting wood, works even better if the wood is real cold. And it won't cost you a arm and leg like those bruks axes your looking at. goto the link below to buy one online. you will like it.

http://factoryone-store.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

I had one of them.
In tough wood it would stick bad and in easy to split wood it would send it dangeriously flying apart. Any by standers or barbacue, knees or legs would be at risk. I paid $25 used for mine and sold it a couple years later for $8.
Not trying to cut you down, just think that money spent on one of them could be spent on something safer and better.

Erik

Best not to smoke the bark, only the wood.

I love a good smoke up, super in the park now wont allow it.

When I was in my little ole place I had a great smoke up and even the police were called! Dont stoke the smoke too high.

Hi Edgar, whats happend you've posted more than 3 words at once....:confused:

Don't get on MB's case boys for smoking, smoking weed is by far the lesser of Edgars vices...:mad:

I had one of them.
In tough wood it would stick bad and in easy to split wood it would send it dangeriously flying apart. Any by standers or barbacue, knees or legs would be at risk. I paid $25 used for mine and sold it a couple years later for $8.
Not trying to cut you down, just think that money spent on one of them could be spent on something safer and better.

I'm sorry to hear that... your right about the wood flying, it does take off like a rocket if your hit it just right, I have never been hit by a piece (knock on wood). I still use my other axes for certain things but if I'm splitting oak and it's good and frozen I like the Chopper 1. it is quick and easy.:laugh:

A Fiskars 2400, and a 1400 for the smaller stuff, is what I mostly use - both splitting axes - they work really well, and have done so for close to ten years now.

Last edited:
A Fiskars 2400, and a 1400 for the smaller stuff, is what I mostly use - both splitting axes - they work really well, and have done so for close to ten years now.

Just like with saws, no one axe will do everything eh?:D

Back