I need help with 025 issue.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullCry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 025 that I acquired. I don't know the year it was made but it still has a bar code on the front of the case. Anyway when I got it you can make a cut and when you let off the throttle it would stall. Only the low screw is adjustable for the high side has a plug in it. I tried every position from 1 1/2 out and both sides of this. It doesn't do this on every cut but often though. If i rev the saw after the cut a few times a lot of the time it won't cut off.
I removed the carb and cleaned it out and had thoughts of somehow removing the high side plug but didn't try. I ran the saw and adjusted the carb and made some cuts and it's still doing the same thing. I blew air through every jet after I soaked it.If anyone has ever seen this type problem I would be grateful for the knowledge and help. Thanks, FullCry

First, remove and inspect the fuel line. Also look at the impulse line and make sure it is still hooked up.

Firstly the "H" adjustment has little effect on the idle, the L screw cotrols this and speeds up to 1/3 throttle - you don't mention increasing the idle speed with the idle speed screw - have you tried screwing this in a bit?

If the saw is running ok at WOT then the problem isn't with your high speed fuel circuit.

Few things to try - check your fuel filter (the one in the tank) check your fuel line. the impulse feed to the top pump section of the carb and also the tank vent - have you tried undoing the fuel cap a little to see if the extra breathing helps the problem?

Make sure the plug is clean and gapped correctly

Good luck - hope this helps

Spud

First, remove and inspect the fuel line. Also look at the impulse line and make sure it is still hooked up.

+1

I'd be interested to know which carb you've got on it. If it's the one I think and you can't get it to work, I wouldn't shed any tears. Snag a WT-215 off EBAY and you'll be a lot happier. I got one for 5 bones or so, installed a carb kit, and opened up the muffler some. That saw is not a very robust unit without an adjustable high end.

Thanks for all the replies....

The fuel line and fuel filter are in good shape....I checked both when doing the carb work. There is a vent line but no impulse line....only the fuel line and no place on the carb for an impulse line to go. I haven't unscrewed the fuel cap and the tank vent line and small screen in the line at the tank plus the rock type filter in the carb box look good...I didn't think to check and make sure it was breathing though...I will check this and try the unscrewing the cap first. It did do better at a higher Idle but I can't remember if it was acting up then...I will check this first. Thanks for all the help and if I try everything without any luck I'll get back with y'all. I does run well at WOT and in between until it cuts off at idle lol, FullCry PS, Andre is that a stihl carb you mentioned for if not I might have one. I have a pile of old carbs but no stihls, Thanks again.

Last edited:
The fuel line and fuel filter are in good shape....I checked both when doing the carb work. There is a vent line but no impulse line....only the fuel line and no place on the carb for an impulse line to go. I haven't unscrewed the fuel cap and the tank vent line and small screen in the line at the tank plus the rock type filter in the carb box look good...I didn't think to check and make sure it was breathing though...I will check this and try the unscrewing the cap first. It did do better at a higher Idle but I can't remember if it was acting up then...I will check this first. Thanks for all the help and if I try everything without any luck I'll get back with y'all. I does run well at WOT and in between until it cuts off at idle lol, FullCry PS, Andre is that a stihl carb you mentioned for if not I might have one. I have a pile of old carbs but no stihls, Thanks again.

Honestly, I don't remember if the carb has "Stihl" stamped on it. This is the carb, though. It is fully adjustable and has been very reliable for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-025-Chain...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f1161246

Thanks, Yeah mine has Stihl kind of lightly painted on it but it looks just like a Walbro to me. Thanks for the photo. FullCry

Back