I need me a 4 Wheelin' Saw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawJunkie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For cutting trails open and such. I just can't bring myself to use my 346xp cause it will get all bounced and banged around, and I will obsess over scratching it etc...Now I don't need to best saw for this so I am thinking about buying a cheapie poulan at Sears or the like...I saw them for like 130 bucks or something the other day. Now the Craftsman model is more money but it's the same dang saw as the poulan beside it disguised in different colors! Will the safety chain that comes on it work for that occasional downed tree on the trail or do I need to put a loop of .404 on it??:jawdrop:

Lot's of guys like their little Ryobi's...I think they are heavy for what they are but they seem to be well built...

Hmm maybe I will cruise CL..I am going to need some kind of case..I should have said ATV as its a pain to strap a saw to the rack without some kind of case. I took my 440 once strapped down in no case and it took some of the paint off on the underside. Not that it hurt anything but it was like a 3 week old saw at the time!! Are the box store Poulans really that bad?? If so I will skip it, as I am not a connoisseur of junk...

I like my mini-macs and little Homies for this type of work... Small, tough, capable, cheap!

'Course I'm not gonna find anything bigger than 20" across any of our trails, and even that's a once every 5 year event.... Usually just 6" or so.

I suffer from great jealousy towards all you folks that think 20" is still a small tree... LOL. I stick to the tiny saws because then the cut lasts long enough to enjoy using the saw.... About 5 seconds for an 8" spruce cookie...

J

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can buy a 'saw press' or build like mine, 4,000kilometer on this now, universal mount, not brand loyal,,LOL
The homie is there for display purposes only!!!
I glued a rubber mat on later, the base slides into the hollow frame rails, pull those two pins and the unit slides off the ATV

Last edited:
I have a stihl 011 that works great. You can find one of those used at a good price. Heck, mine was free.

I have carried a saw without having it in a case and it just gets too muddy for my liking. I decided to get a case and strap that in. I just used some additional padding to keep the saw from getting banged up. I used to carry my 334T because it was small but when I realized the saw case is pretty universal :dizzy: I started carrying a larger saw after encountering a rather large 24"+ or - sized tree across a trail in WV. I can carry the case pretty easily in my Rhino but you could probably strap one on an ATV as well.....especially with the right rack. I have one of those drop basket racks on my hunting quad that hauls a chansaw pretty well. Might just have to get one of those soft cases and deal with it getting muddied up....better than your saw getting muddy at least. My saws have not been getting beat up at all in the case with additional added padding....and that is fast paced riding around 80 - 100 miles per day averaging around 600 miles per year. Saw is pretty much always with me. Much better than the days when I used to carry a folding hand saw.....:greenchainsaw:

:agree2: on the case!
It sounds like your trying to justify buying another saw! Your in denial my friend:hmm3grin2orange::chainsawguy:

I carry my Ryobi on the quad. 1/2' hole in the muffler and a 16" B/C. It has worked well for year, and I only have $100 in it. I am not out much if it takes a tumble.

Ingenuity

Build a scabbard dude... I put one on my four wheeler for just that purpose. Mount it on there like a rifle like on a horse near the gas tank... Now that'd be very cool. Don't be all johnny come lately like everyone else. heh heh heh

If you get an old top handle saw you can draw that baby out fast for small limbs you can cut right from your wheeler...

:cheers: eh?

This was alot of work but it has done very well for me. I have an echo cs360t tophandle saw with a 12" bar (so it's tiny). Now to make the box: I wrapped the saw in packing foam. (I run a bodyshop and new bumper covers come wrapped in this so it's everywhere here). Then taped the death out of it with masking tape. (Kinda looks like a cocoon now). Now is the PITA part: I laid fiberglass mat,cloth and resin all over the cocoon, let it dry and did it again. After it was all hardened up I cut open the spot where I wanted a lid to be.(with a whizzer or cut-off wheel) Then I laid more fiberglass mat on the edge or 'cuff' of the lid (so that it overlaps). When dry, I mounted a hinge, a strap so it doesn't open too far, and a clasp to keep it closed. It has worked well for 2 years now. The chain busted open the back so I 'glassed a piece of flattened out copper in the end. It has gotten busted up here and there but I just grab a grinder and some mat and resin and patch it up--real easy now. Plus it's super-easy to get to while on the trail and I don't have to bungee all kinds of junk apart and back together all the time. The inside of the box is a mess with bar oil and chips but I don't care....

I love my little craftsman/poulan/electrolux. Small, light, and dependable. And yes I do have an extra one in a case. Let me know if you want the specifics.

Latest posts

Back