I need some imput on a problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoom

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Okay, my FS85 will run decent for a few mins of work then just dies and won't fire back up. The trimmer also won't idle on its own once it gets warmed up. I just replaced the rings, seals and crank bearings, so the compression is great. Im trying to figure out if its the ignition module or i need a carb kit? I was leaning towards the module, but i remember when i tested for spark it had spark. This all happened 2 weeks ago when i was clearing some brush and before then i used the trimmer on a weekly bases with no problems. Filter and plug look good as well as the fuel filter. Thanks Chris

I have an fs85,bought brand new from the dealer in '01.

Ran it for a couple of weeks and one day it died in mid-cut.........took it to the dealer and sure enough,bad coil-fresh out the box.

He went on to tell me that this was the most common service problem with these units,coils gone bad displaying the dreaded "intermittent" spark anomalies.

Good luck,:cheers:

I have an fs85,bought brand new from the dealer in '01.

Ran it for a couple of weeks and one day it died in mid-cut.........took it to the dealer and sure enough,bad coil-fresh out the box.

He went on to tell me that this was the most common service problem with these units,coils gone bad displaying the dreaded "intermittent" spark anomalies.

Good luck,:cheers:

AHAAAAA!!!!!!! I bought mine around that same time, so i must be lucky that it lasted this long lol. Im scared to see how much a new ignition cost? I already dumped $60 into it. I think i might need a new gear head soon cuz she turns a little rough by hand.

I hate to admit this,but one of the first things I did was over-torque the shaft mount bolts to the gear box.....cracked the gear case.

I slipped a spacer in there and been running it like I stole it for nine years now.

Don't get me wrong,these units are strong runners and well worth repairing-I love mine,gets er' done.:clap:

Latest posts

Back