I need to know the CC's of a stihl 084??? I need a milling saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiguredwoodsVT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a good milling saw, for a chainsaw mill, I need to know what the cc's of a stihl 084 is??, or if anyone has a good milling saw for sale, Thanks

the 084 will be a good milling saw, but milling with an alaska mill is a real pain in the a$$. if you're just getting started and have more than a few logs to mill, consider a track mounted set up like pro-cut or hudson. if youre jsut doing it for fun, an alaska mill will work, but you can get by with a hva 394 or 395 or stihl 066 for an alaska mill. it doesnt make much sense to need to cut 10 feet per minute when the back breaking setup on the alaska mill takes 15 minutes per log or more.

Mackie, I have to qualify your statement about the Alaskan Mill. I have cut about 6,000 bdf of timber (8x8's) for a new home since about Jan of this year in my spare time using an Alaskan. They are an excellent alternative for cutting larger timbers. With the alaskan you save all the time neccessary to skid, load, unload, load onto conventional mill and then from that point you still have to unload the cut product and stack. You may also save time as the finished product with the alaskan is very smooth when using the right chain thereby eliminating the need to plane your cut lumber as may be required for some applications. Cutting small stuff (2x4) except for small projects and limited quantitys is NOT worth my time though. I have a bunch of left over "half rounds" that could be made into 2x8's but I will just square the edges of those cants and trailer em to a freinds to cut into 3/4" decking using a band mill. Thats my story and Im stickin to it. bman

I have a track mounted mill, I have been using a stihl 056 AV super, I think it is about 90 cc's, it works ok, But I have been wanting to see what idfference a bigger saw would make, Thanks for the help.

bman, youre right, for big logs that you cant move the alaskan is the right choice. i dont have anything that big so i overlooked that point.

for a track mounted set-up, get the absolute biggest saw you can afford, i hear good things about the 3120, 088, and 084, and dont forget the 090.

FiguredwoodsVT said:
I have a track mounted mill, I have been using a stihl 056 AV super, I think it is about 90 cc's, it works ok, But I have been wanting to see what idfference a bigger saw would make, Thanks for the help.

Yeah, 87 cc's I think. How does the 084 compare to the 056 Super torque-wise.

Jeff

I will let you know, when/if, I get one, should be within a few days, plus delivery, I am hoping it makes a big difference, I am sure it will, I can't see getting much bigger then 120+ cc's, That is a big saw!!, I thought about a alaskan set up before I bought the mill I have, It looked way too hard for me, and I do not have to mill logs out in the woods, I have a large landing, so I just drag them out, or bring them down to the farm. I can send some pics of milling up some short logs, if anyone wants to see them. We milled apple a while back, 17 inch plus, beautifull wood!!

Then again up here in Vt our trees top out at maybe 20 inches, that is probably pulp wood to some of you guys :) , I do not know too many people who run much bigger then a 20 inch bar here, unless their cutting old pine!

If anyone has a good milling saw then let me know, The 056 av super I am using is getting tired, I will need something new, even if it is about the same size, no smaller though, feel free to offer guys, Thanks

Latest posts

Back