I Need training

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhudson

Reaction score
New to Stumps

I have an opportunity to dig stumps exclusively for a local tree company. I have rented a Vermeer 252 and dug a few stumps in friends yards. Any advice on how or where to get trained in the art of stump grinding other than doing it myself? Also what machine is best for all around use? How do I dig stumps close to fences, driveways, landscaping, on steep inclines, etc?? How do I verify no utility lines near stumps? Would local tree companies be willing to let me observe or even help for no charge? Please give me any and all info you can!!!!

Last edited:
as time goes by you will get better on running a stump grinder. you could purchase a unit . ive never heard of a class someone could take on stump grinding. good luck

thanks

Thank you for your timely reply. I did get better the more stumps i dug. Unfortunately I am not getting paid for these "training sessions"

a bit of advice on the 252, if equipped with autosweep, disconnect the wire harness that activates this, grind time will be much quicker!! DONT FORGET TO HOOK IT BACK UP(if renting). good luck!!!

LXT..........

Just takes practice. Never heard of a class. Heck, I bet a local tree company would love to pay someone $5 an hour for someone to grind stumps. At least this way you get paid if you mess up a machine it isnt yours. Often grind from 2 or 3 different angles on medium or bigger stumps so the wheel is grinding with the grain and not against like a chain saw. This will make bigger peices and save time.

Also, the Vermeer 252 is by far one of the slowest machines I have ever used for it's power. A buddy of mine has a Calton with about 20 or 25 hp and it has to be 4 times faster. Definately quicker but takes some careful care since it is so quick. Rayco is a decent brand too. Vermeer makes good grinder but I would shy away from their smaller stuff for sure. May be better in the last few years but I dont know.

Latest posts

Back