I never catch a break!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a property with two log landings I have been working and an old one with black walnut, (campfire wood) that I need to finish. The golf course Superintendent wants me to help with the 50-60 ash trees that have to come down and a bunch of oak with oak wilt this Winter.

Earlier in the week I took some bribes, err......apples for one load and cookies for another to my logger buddies who were in the area. Over lunch they mentioned a landowner I know and have cut wood on his property before. So.........I went out and had coffee with him this morning and now have another place to clean up, nothing but Red & White Oak.

What is a guy supposed to do?

Cable skidded logs are mighty dirty, so I switched the new 395XP with .404 and semi chisel chain to combat the dirt. It stays sharp much longer than 3/8ths LGX10-31-19 1.JPG 10-31-19 2.JPG 10-31-19 3.JPG 10-31-19 4.JPG 10-31-19 5.JPG 10-31-19 6.JPG 10-31-19 7.JPG 10-31-19 8.JPG 10-31-19 9.JPG

I've got a property with two log landings I have been working and an old one with black walnut, (campfire wood) that I need to finish. The golf course Superintendent wants me to help with the 50-60 ash trees that have to come down and a bunch of oak with oak wilt this Winter.

Earlier in the week I took some bribes, err......apples for one load and cookies for another to my logger buddies who were in the area. Over lunch they mentioned a landowner I know and have cut wood on his property before. So.........I went out and had coffee with him this morning and now have another place to clean up, nothing but Red & White Oak.

What is a guy supposed to do?

Cable skidded logs are mighty dirty, so I switched the new 395XP with .404 and semi chisel chain to combat the dirt. It stays sharp much longer than 3/8ths LGXView attachment 769755 View attachment 769756 View attachment 769757 View attachment 769758 View attachment 769759 View attachment 769760 View attachment 769761 View attachment 769762 View attachment 769763
If only you were closer I would offer to "help you out" in your time of despair.....LOL
We don't get much free wood around these parts , I think because too many people burn it.

I dont see this as an inconvenience..... id MUCH rather take trees from someone else’s wood versus mine.

Beginning of last summer I got over nine pick up truck loads for one guy‘s yard. ALL Black locusts. I felt blessed.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well wouldn't you know it! Last night I talked to the landowner where the loggers just finished. HE WANTS THAT LANDING CLEANED UP TOO!

Going to pull of one site where no one will cut to this one as he might let other people in. Will see what I am in for today.

Jealous! I would about kill to get out of the office, get to play with a nice big saw, and get a score near as good as that. Or have a truck or a trailer that was anywhere near that nice to haul it.

Last night I was picking cottonwood out of the pile to burn. Had the bark on still, still wet as a taco fart after being stacked up for a year. All the wood in my stacks didn't seem to have dried at all again this year, even though it was off the ground. Extra fun: kicking all the wet ones out of the dirt and finding they are wetter than when you put them there.

Jealous! I would about kill to get out of the office, get to play with a nice big saw, and get a score near as good as that. Or have a truck or a trailer that was anywhere near that nice to haul it.

Last night I was picking cottonwood out of the pile to burn. Had the bark on still, still wet as a taco fart after being stacked up for a year. All the wood in my stacks didn't seem to have dried at all again this year, even though it was off the ground. Extra fun: kicking all the wet ones out of the dirt and finding they are wetter than when you put them there.

Was the cottonwood split, that normally dries pretty fast once split?

Well I got load heaped up to the cab roof yesterday. The loggers re-graded the road and it was much better to get in. The soil is real weird a clay that compresses big time when driven on. The forwarder truck made such depressions that normal vehicles were coming close to high centering on the crown in the middle. My own truck and trailer were sinking 3-4" and it was not muddy. It is snowing today and I won't be able to go back until the ground freezes hard which should be Thursday.

Back