I never catch a break!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a thing lined up with a local golf course Superintendent for ash this Winter. You are right it is by far the hardest thing there is to cut, can create a lot of vibration.
You guys still have a lot up there, the stuff still standing here can be very dangerous. I do a lot of test cuts in it as well as seasoned black locust, you know how well your chains are set up real quick!

You guys still have a lot up there, the stuff still standing here can be very dangerous. I do a lot of test cuts in it as well as seasoned black locust, you know how well your chains are set up real quick!

Can't agree more. You certainly don't want to get aggressive with raker depth on dead ash.

FWIW, I put off cutting a 24" standing dead elm in the back yard. I really don't like cutting dead trees but it was dropping limbs in the yard. I cut it watching up ALL THE TIME. When it hit the ground the crown exploded into small sticks. So it was a half hour of cutting and moving all the salvageable wood and 2+ hours of raking up sticks.

Can't agree more. You certainly don't want to get aggressive with raker depth on dead ash.

FWIW, I put off cutting a 24" standing dead elm in the back yard. I really don't like cutting dead trees but it was dropping limbs in the yard. I cut it watching up ALL THE TIME. When it hit the ground the crown exploded into small sticks. So it was a half hour of cutting and moving all the salvageable wood and 2+ hours of raking up sticks.
Exactly. I do a good amount of boring so they have to be set just right for me, I also like a smooth chain so unless I'm in green wood I keep the hook pretty mild as well as the rakers.
That's nice when you don't have to cut anything small, not so nice when you have to clean up the mess :confused:.
I have a video of a large ash a friend dropped on a lot clearing job taken from where it dropped at(kids thought it was going to hit us:crazy2:), pieces everywhere and a nice dust cloud, I got some nice wood out of that one :clap:.
I did a couple back leaning cherrys at my parents place two weekends ago, they had some rotten wood both at the base and up higher. I had to make my felling cuts on the worse one at about 12', when it hit the wood pile it came apart pretty good :surprised3:.

This one wasn't as dramatic, but lots of pieces, glad the kids were there to help my mom :heart:.

Well wouldn't you know it! Last night I talked to the landowner where the loggers just finished. HE WANTS THAT LANDING CLEANED UP TOO!

Going to pull of one site where no one will cut to this one as he might let other people in. Will see what I am in for today.

Well I have cut two days on this spot and made a dent in the log landing. No one has showed up to cut and then he ask me, "there are 3 more landings in the back, can you clean them up too". I didn't know these were even there. As I said at the start of this, I never catch a break.:innocent::happybanana::chainsaw::happy::rock2:

Latest posts

Back