I picked up a Stihl 026 at the dump today and it doesn't idle very well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCMII

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a 026 at the dump today and it doesnt idle very well. It started it after cleaning air filter (it is a mess), checked if it had spark..and it did and I put some of the gas from the tank in the carb and it started and ran. Cut some wood with it but when I put it on the ground it would stop idleing after a little bit of time. I changed the fuel and spark plug, low idle mix screw is 1 turn and runs best at that position and the idle set screw looks to me corect also.

Next step is to check out the carb, fuel line and filter, pull muffler and see what piston looks like, etc. Saw was in the dump, probably needs some work anyways, but great find!!!

No it doesnt, it runs pretty much normal other than when it idles. The felt filter is not in the best shape but running it with out the filter did change things much.

"I picked up a 026 at the dump today and it doesnt idle very well"

Sounds to me like you have very high expectations. Try sounding a little happier about it.

Good find all the same.

increase the idle screw to bring the RPM up. If changing the low/idle/high do nothing then a carb kit would be in order, fuel line and filter, then check for an air leak last.

Assuming you cleaned the filter, an adjustment may be in order.

"I picked up a 026 at the dump today and it doesnt idle very well"

Sounds to me like you have very high expectations. Try sounding a little happier about it.

Good find all the same.

Without exception, every 026/260 I've "picked up" has cost me at least $150.00. Some of them more, a lot more!!

I agree, good find.

I can't disagree with that. I have a couple knocking around here that are works in progress.

mail it to me i'll fix it.

no need to trouble yourself turning screws and watching videos.

none

at

all.

i'll split the shipping with you .:hmm3grin2orange:

I picked up a 026 at the dump today and it doesnt idle very well. It started it after cleaning air filter (it is a mess), checked if it had spark..and it did and I put some of the gas from the tank in the carb and it started and ran. Cut some wood with it but when I put it on the ground it would stop idleing after a little bit of time. I changed the fueland spark plug, low idle mix screw is 1 turn and runs best at that position and the idle set screw looks to me corect also.

If I'm accurately comprehending your post:

You primed it with the fuel that was in the tank, cut with it using the same fuel, and then changed the fuel.

Back