I remember...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember one log loads going through town on the way to the mill.

I remember two men taking all day to fall and buck one OG Redwood. That counted the time spent making the lay and setting the springboards.

I remember when you had four seasons in the woods...snow season, rain season, mud season, and fire season.

I remember when differences of opinion were often settled with fists and boots...but nobody went crying to the boss about it afterward.

I remember NO CALKS signs outside most of the cafes, taverns, and dry goods stores. You could leave your boots outside while you went in and nobody would bother them. It did make you wish that some of the guys would change their socks more often.

I remember the sound of the old Cats with straight stacks pulling hard on steep ground. There's nothing else that sounds like that.

I remember saws that sounded like saws, and not like some over sized dentist drill.

I remember saws that weighed almost as much as I did.

I remember when a lot of the old timers wouldn't run Stihl saws. Some of those guys weren't long back from WWll and wanted nothing to do with anything German.

I remember when there were only two brands of saws that anyone took seriously... Homelites and Macs.

I remember when everybody on the crew knew what a peeling bar was and knew how to use one. And wouldn't do it unless you threatened them with getting canned.

I remember when, if a guy got hurt bad enough to lay him up for the rest of the season, somebody would pass the hat. It wasn't uncommon for each man to throw down a day's wages...he knew his turn might come.

I remember that when a man got killed nobody would talk about it for a long time. It just wasn't done.

I remember when you had two choices in the woods, work or walk. Then, as now, there were always more good loggers than there were jobs.

I remember when you'd cover up a minor injury because if you complained about it somebody would bring a pink ribbon to work the next day and tie it on your lunch box.

I remember a lot of things but mostly I'm still too busy doing some of them to think about them a whole lot.

I remember one log loads going through town on the way to the mill.

I remember two men taking all day to fall and buck one OG Redwood. That counted the time spent making the lay and setting the springboards.

I remember when you had four seasons in the woods...snow season, rain season, mud season, and fire season.

I remember when differences of opinion were often settled with fists and boots...but nobody went crying to the boss about it afterward.

I remember NO CALKS signs outside most of the cafes, taverns, and dry goods stores. You could leave your boots outside while you went in and nobody would bother them. It did make you wish that some of the guys would change their socks more often.

I remember the sound of the old Cats with straight stacks pulling hard on steep ground. There's nothing else that sounds like that.

I remember saws that sounded like saws, and not like some over sized dentist drill.

I remember saws that weighed almost as much as I did.

I remember when a lot of the old timers wouldn't run Stihl saws. Some of those guys weren't long back from WWll and wanted nothing to do with anything German.

I remember when there were only two brands of saws that anyone took seriously... Homelites and Macs.

I remember when everybody on the crew knew what a peeling bar was and knew how to use one. And wouldn't do it unless you threatened them with getting canned.

I remember when, if a guy got hurt bad enough to lay him up for the rest of the season, somebody would pass the hat. It wasn't uncommon for each man to throw down a day's wages...he knew his turn might come.

I remember that when a man got killed nobody would talk about it for a long time. It just wasn't done.

I remember when you had two choices in the woods, work or walk. Then, as now, there were always more good loggers than there were jobs.

I remember when you'd cover up a minor injury because if you complained about it somebody would bring a pink ribbon to work the next day and tie it on your lunch box.

I remember a lot of things but mostly I'm still too busy doing some of them to think about them a whole lot.

that was just pure poetry:bowdown:

Alpine Valley, East troy WI. about 1988 Jerry Garcia and co. five day gig w/ Bob Dylan if you had a dollar you could buy breakfast if you did not you could eat free. Nothing like a 220mile bike ride at 110degrees to see the Grateful Dead
and a resort flooded w/ righteous people then buzz over to red stadium in Cincitown two days there and roll on down to Louisville for another show. I remeber nothing else

going outside at night to watch sputnik

air raid drills in school

1/2 dozen of us piled on a TR3 to get the sunday papers for the neighborhood

the Christmas I got my SXL so I wouldn't have to use the bow saw (engineless)

woods cars...the 4CV

the first day I drove my '52 plymouth to school

knowing when and where to speed since there was only one cop on duty in town

kinda remember the free beer at freshmen orientation

I'm 46, I remember my Dad giving me a dollar and sending me walking to the store up the road for a gallon of gas , a pack of Winstons, and he told me I could have the rest for candy.

The old man used to send me into the tavern down the road for a six pack and two cans of chew. It was a mom and pop place and they knew me. I'd climb up on a bar stool with all the old drunks that'd be there during the day and there'd be this layer of smoke just above the bar all day long. I was about 7.

It was about that time that he made me and my brothers kill our own chickens too. "Killing your dinner is part of being a man" he'd say. That was fun.

Back