I.S.A Board Certified Master Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jim

Here's the question, I would say that our qualifications far exceed what the ISA certification hoo haa is all about, if we show up will our qualifications be recognised?

You should be able to get instant accreditation, just show them your paperwork and hand over the money for the piece of paper.

Ekka said:
our qualifications far exceed what the ISA certification hoo haa is all about, ...just show them your paperwork and hand over the money for the piece of paper.
Ekka, from what you describe, it sounds like the training you get over there is pretty good, but as long as you would be willing to pay for it, you might as well sit for the test, eh? I shouldn't expect to flash my bcma in australia or the uk and get certified automatically, should I?

the piece of paper is bound to be useful, even if it doesn't have a photo of a dead president on it.

Dan, you can spend your money on tools that seem redundant to others, or certs that seem redundant. Different strokes...Hey there's a guy from Atlanta who's going to isa--check tb if you want.

treeseer said:
I shouldn't expect to flash my bcma in australia or the uk and get certified automatically, should I?

Well, I think they should providing they are on par. If you were a mechanic in USA you'd expect to be same here.

We also have a system that accredits recognition of prior learning (ROPL), so if you can produce evidence of competencies you will be automatically accredited with that module, providing you pay for it.

Ekka said:
Well, I think they should providing they are on par. If you were a mechanic in USA you'd expect to be same here. if you can produce evidence of competencies .
Mechanics, doctors etc here sometimes have to retest when they change states, sometimes not. If proof of equivalent competency is not 100% clear, I can see the requirement to retest.

Teachers transferring form other states to NC have to retest, even tho their states have higher standards. That to me is a cash grab.

treeseer said:
Mechanics, doctors etc here sometimes have to retest when they change states, sometimes not. If proof of equivalent competency is not 100% clear, I can see the requirement to retest.

Teachers transferring form other states to NC have to retest, even tho their states have higher standards. That to me is a cash grab.

I know what it's like over there, my dentist tells me. Over here education is Federally endorsed and valid Australia wide ... doesn't matter which state or university you got your degree in you can practice anywhere. He tells me that Florida is a definate example of the dentists looking after themselves with only a few other states qualifications endorsed ... they don't want a deluge of dentists in their turf do they?

I read all 13 pages of the ISA Tree Worker Certification. First, I think $60 is a bargain. The costs are stepping away from business for a day or two, travel, food & lodging.

I would be required to demonstrate competence in a style of climbing I don't employ. That's OK, but I haven't tried traditional stuff on 11 mm ropes. I'd have to study up.

Also, as much as I love knots, I don't use them in my treework, or very infrequently so I'd have to refresh a bit.

They don't require you to back up an ascender od splice an eye into a rope. They're missing a few points.

Ekka said:
Hey Jim

Here's the question, I would say that our qualifications far exceed what the ISA certification hoo haa is all about, if we show up will our qualifications be recognised?

You should be able to get instant accreditation, just show them your paperwork and hand over the money for the piece of paper.

Id hope our qualifications would be reciognised Ekka. If our quals did exceed the ISA's, it doesn't seem it would matter because our quals are not as well known.

Still, im interested in the difference between the two "bits of paper"

You can get instant credication here too, hand over the money and do the test, no class involved.

You can work over here with absolutely no accreditation. This is why we have so many hacks. A smiling face and a New Zealand accent, and you're in business.

Tree Machine said:
You can work over here with absolutely no accreditation. This is why we have so many hacks. A smiling face and a New Zealand accent, and you're in business.

tell me your not serious

Well, it is true. The certifications available to us are completely voluntary. A certification may be required by an employer, or a condominium complex may require a certified arborist, or a government agency, or city parks department, etc., but to work as an arborist, or CALL yourself an arborist, there's no regulation against that. To call yourself a Certified Arborist without actually being certified, that's a no-no but I'll bet it happens.

Certain parts of certain states regulate all businesses within their jurisdictions, like portions of California, for instance, but for the most part, tree guys only need a chainsaw and a truck to do business.

Personally, I'd like to see higher levels of regulation, or at least SOME regulation but this is America, home of the free to do whatever you dang well please as long as it offends no one else.

I'd like to nominate MB as a Board Certifed Master Arborist.
I know this wont happen thou. My reasoning is MB in all his writings and works on the net throughout the years has never forgotten where he came from. Its the climber with a pickup truck and a poulan thats invented what we all are now. Ive worked for say 20 compaines throuought the southeast USA. Why is my net worth not 1.9 million you say? Government service. Ive spent 16 years of my 38 dong the duty/country/honor, so before you scoff at the working man think we cant all make a million dollars on the homefront if others dont sacrafice for us to do just that. Its a dangerous job we do and to diss some dude with a pickup and a chainsaw because thats all he's got because the rest he's given to you is repungant to me to even hear in this place where we all risk it all almost daily.
I think a Board certified Master Arborist
should be a good steward first to trees, second to peers, and lastly to the industry.

I hope you weren't directing the scoffing and dissing at me. I'm just laying out the facts. In fact, I AM the guy with the pickup and the Poulan, metaphorically speaking.

We diss the dudes who do poor treework and give our industry a bad name. Some of those guys have big, fancy trucks and a fat ad in the yellow pages.

I think ANYONE performing tree work, regardless of certifications, credentials or education, should be a good steward first to trees, second to peers, and lastly to the industry. Hacks don't seem to share our outlook, but I'd work next to any one of them to teach them better practices. Are we OK?

Tree Machine said:
Well, it is true. The certifications available to us are completely voluntary. A certification may be required by an employer, or a condominium complex may require a certified arborist, or a government agency, or city parks department, etc., but to work as an arborist, or CALL yourself an arborist, there's no regulation against that. To call yourself a Certified Arborist without actually being certified, that's a no-no but I'll bet it happens.

Certain parts of certain states regulate all businesses within their jurisdictions, like portions of California, for instance, but for the most part, tree guys only need a chainsaw and a truck to do business.

Yea, thats the same as here, with the exception of Auckland which has blanket protection, elsewhere though, only the scheduled trees are protected.

The customer is stupid, but not that stupid. They get to know the hacks and therefor never call back, i dont know a hack or heard of a hack being in business for longer than 3 years.

People now, are starting to ask for qualified arborists and are receiving the service they deserve

Tree Machine said:

Ha i would like to see a yank try and start up here, smile or no smile.

All I see is more and more hacks. The buggers are breeding!!

Some are repeatedly harrassing customers, knocking on doors and badgering them into tree work. Trees are mutilated, things are broken, these bums don't pay tax, don't pay other legal entitlements or insurance and undermine reputable businesses.

I can't wait for the day that some regulation comes in. Until then, I have to struggle to compete with these hacks. I cannot fathom a govt that insists a fence erector be certified and registered yet this industry has nothing.

Education is worthwhile, some customers will know the value and use you, but when it comes to TD's and price, the hacks will be hard at your heels.

Ekka said:
I cannot fathom a govt that insists a fence erector be certified and registered yet this industry has nothing. .
I can. Reasons:

1. Lack of publicity.

2. Complexity makes it harder to regulate.

3. Lack of industry's self-regulation, which could lead to bovt regulation.

3.a.Lack of involvement and publicizing by industry members.

So, we need an action plan.

I know our QAA is trying but not enough. We could all start by sending a letter to our local polly I suppose.

Reading the injuries section here there's something happening daily. So, besides getting better work there would also be safer work.

We could get a standardised letter and send it. What do you reckon Treeseer?

What they did with the unqualified fencing guys was a 4 day course providing they had experience. The final day of that course was spent totally on business things, pricing etc ... so the fools didn't undercut and burn their suppliers and go broke. It was pretty comprehensive.

We could do the same, cover some basic knots, rigging forces, prussiks and where to cut limbs etc. At least then they'd know, what they do after that is their problem but you got them on file. No more running off when the trees through the roof. :)

im going to agree with guy here. the isa unites us all to some degree and works to our benefit as arborists like it or not. i believe the isa is just creating some different certs to suite the needs of a diversifying industry. i do think the main ca has become more of an entry exam to the industry but not every arborist is even able to climb. ive know some great plant health care diagnosticians who could do great ipm work, but were too fat or old to get up a tree. the ca is a bachelors degree of sorts, but you must focus to gain your higher course of study.

arboromega said:
the ca is a bachelors degree of sorts.
I liken it to an AS, Associate of Science degree. A great step to take; your time is worth more once you get it.

Yes it is an entry level, as Muni and Utility and bcma require it as a prerequisite. But it's worth a good bit on its own.

Latest posts

Back