I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhh, Aaron................steele chainsaw

This seems decent, maybe? STIHL 020AV Gas Chainsaw

Yeah............but is it a Remington Steele???

key_art_remington_steele.jpg

Friend of mine picked up a 029 at the local flea market today, and brought it over for me to check out. I had a spare chain hanging that I gave him, it was missing a bunch of cutters on the one on it. Retuned it, it was pig rich @7700 WOT! I went pretty conservative at 12,500. Also dumped the used motor oil out of the oil tank and sent him home with a quart of fresh bar oil. Some people shouldn't own saws, even Stihls.

My buddy that bought it is a new homeowner with 4 wooded acres, that saw for being that abused, should last him a long time, and he only gave $50 for it. I got a box-o-beer for my help.

Friend of mine picked up a 029 at the local flea market today, and brought it over for me to check out. I had a spare chain hanging that I gave him, it was missing a bunch of cutters on the one on it. Retuned it, it was pig rich @7700 WOT! I went pretty conservative at 12,500. Also dumped the used motor oil out of the oil tank and sent him home with a quart of fresh bar oil. Some people shouldn't own saws, even Stihls.

My buddy that bought it is a new homeowner with 4 wooded acres, that saw for being that abused, should last him a long time, and he only gave $50 for it. I got a box-o-beer for my help.

Box-O-Beer =WIN!!!!!!!!

That saw is a lot different, than most. It has a bolt on transformer coil. You need clips and wires to check it. Its not pull the plug, ground it and look for spark.

Agreed. But if you prime it and it pops, you must have spark.

I think that statement means it doesn't have spark.

Sort of like "It was running when I put it away last year" means not running now.

Tim,
This is what the ad said
"It has compression and a new
electronic ignition module just installed.
I am not able to check for spark."

No biggie. I didn't know you couldn't check spark by pulling the plug and grounding it, but was still curious why he replaced the ignition if he couldn't check for spark. Maybe he didn't know that either.

Latest posts

Back