I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm reading wrong, but i'm not sure i understand you...lol

I would think all of us are in the negative dollar-wise on our saws...congrats to those that are not....

J

Meaning that I don't have any money in my saws....I've sold enough saws at a profit to pay for the ones I have, and then some. It's actually plus on money, negative on money spent out.

Meaning that I don't have any money in my saws....I've sold enough saws at a profit to pay for the ones I have, and then some. It's actually plus on money, negative on money spent out.

That's not to say that I do well on everything...it just seems this year saws are selling really well and websites like this really help build interest in collecting old chainsaws. I don't sell new saws, only old ones. If I could do as well in everything as I've done in saws it really would be nice!

That's not to say that I do well on everything...it just seems this year saws are selling really well and websites like this really help build interest in collecting old chainsaws. I don't sell new saws, only old ones. If I could do as well in everything as I've done in saws it really would be nice!

Cool...that's what I was hoping you'd say!! lol. A good # of my tools, building materials, etc have been that way...

I bought two new GPS 5500 Generac generators, marked down to 299 from 789, i sold one for 625...so made my $$ back on both, and almost paid for all 6.125% tax :) so now I have a free brandy new generator!

Old saws, what vintage are we talking, pre 70's, pre-80's?

what do you have for a collection?

J

WTF!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop: " I bought these on the account of being young and they have a coolness factor,..."

so you spent, what, $4000 on saws cause they were cool?? did you bump your head??!?!?!?! I didn't know redwoods grew in Michigan... Never even started except to "listen to it run"...wow.

This will keep me up tonite...lol

Cool...that's what I was hoping you'd say!! lol. A good # of my tools, building materials, etc have been that way...

I bought two new GPS 5500 Generac generators, marked down to 299 from 789, i sold one for 625...so made my $$ back on both, and almost paid for all 6.125% tax :) so now I have a free brandy new generator!

Old saws, what vintage are we talking, pre 70's, pre-80's?

what do you have for a collection?

J
I don't have a very good collection as far as some members here have, I have a Homelite 360
McCulloch 610
McCulloch PM 700
McCulloch 10-10
Craftsman 2.1 (2)
Homelite 150 (2) + 1 for parts
Homelite Super 2 (2)
Homelite 3850
McCulloch Eager Beaver
McCulloch Mini-Mac 30
Homelite EZ
Poulan Wood Shark
Poulan 2175
That's all I can remember off the top of my head but most of these were bought at very reasonable prices and almost all run. The ones that don't just need a carb kit and maybe a fuel line. I sold about 20 others on ebay this winter which easily paid for the rest of them.
The ones I sold weren't really that old, late 60's, some in the 70s. Some of the newer plastic ones don't really bring as much as the older metal saws unless it's a Stihl or Husky and a few others. Saws like my Homelite 3850 really run well but wouldn't bring anything money wise so I'm just keeping it to use, same with the two Poulans.

Last edited:

Wow....gotta love CL. I checked these out, only 25 min from home. was surprised he still had them. I was not so suprised when I got there.

he starts off: " I dunno what they were advertised for...how much was it?" i said: "$250 for both, 100/150..."
reply: " well, tell ya what, I can do 100 on this one (points to the 55), but this one(points to the 262), I need to get 200 for, no less...so 300 for both...":monkey:

my reply: "seriously? why didn't you tell me that on the phone..."
his reply: "well........I didn't really know how to tell you that on the phone... I'm sorry if I wasted your time...my sister put up the ads, and I even gave her $20 to do it...I'll give ya something for gas..":censored::censored::censored:

ok, stop....at this point I'm thinking: GIVE ME A $!Y^ing break...gas money?! what, am I 17??? I had to take a couple deep breaths.:dizzy:

after a closer look, it even got more fun: 55 had 7" of pull cord, missing screws in the top cover, loose muffler @ the rear (rotted?) bent decomp valve, broken throttle latch (Still worked, plastic outer piece was 86'ed) and the chain brake was locked on....

the 262 was fine, other than NOT HAVING A CHAIN BRAKE BAND @ ALL...

Thanks for wasting my time:chainsaw:...a saw that needs work, and a parts saw...basically.

Wow....gotta love CL. I checked these out, only 25 min from home. was surprised he still had them. I was not so suprised when I got there.

he starts off: " I dunno what they were advertised for...how much was it?" i said: "$250 for both, 100/150..."
reply: " well, tell ya what, I can do 100 on this one (points to the 55), but this one(points to the 262), I need to get 200 for, no less...so 300 for both...":monkey:

my reply: "seriously? why didn't you tell me that on the phone..."
his reply: "well........I didn't really know how to tell you that on the phone... I'm sorry if I wasted your time...my sister put up the ads, and I even gave her $20 to do it...I'll give ya something for gas..":censored::censored::censored:

ok, stop....at this point I'm thinking: GIVE ME A $!Y^ing break...gas money?! what, am I 17??? I had to take a couple deep breaths.:dizzy:

after a closer look, it even got more fun: 55 had 7" of pull cord, missing screws in the top cover, loose muffler @ the rear (rotted?) bent decomp valve, broken throttle latch (Still worked, plastic outer piece was 86'ed) and the chain brake was locked on....

the 262 was fine, other than NOT HAVING A CHAIN BRAKE BAND @ ALL...

Thanks for wasting my time:chainsaw:...a saw that needs work, and a parts saw...basically.

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who lives in Chepachet so I was thinking of swinging by for a visit and checking out the saws.

Saved me the grief.

WTF!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop: " I bought these on the account of being young and they have a coolness factor,..."

so you spent, what, $4000 on saws cause they were cool?? did you bump your head??!?!?!?! I didn't know redwoods grew in Michigan... Never even started except to "listen to it run"...wow.

This will keep me up tonite...lol

Ya I saw this last week, it's at $2,600 now, 10 minutes left. I couldn't expect it to get much higher. What an idiot, lol. Must of been a good salesman that sold them to him. My stihl dealers don't even keep the 660 or 880 in the show rack.

http://capecod.craigslist.org/grd/1643427153.html

Not sure if that is a good deal but too much saw for me.

i'm next in line for it. just got off the phone with him, has great compression, runs mint, 20" bar. he said the guy first in line is "iffy" with the money, and may fall through. i told him he has a definite buyer with me, and to let me know. waiting on a call tom. night. hope this works out, it will be my new (old) milling saw.....

Back