I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
griffonks

griffonks

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Check out this craigslisters method of selling his efco deere saw...

http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/1687683545.html

John Deere CS56 Chain Saw - $300 (Evergreen)
Date: 2010-04-11, 7:58PM MDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I am selling my John Deere CS 56 Chain Saw, which is in very good condition.
I purchased the saw about two years ago when I lived on a farm in Missouri...now I have little use for it.

It has been used lightly as you can see by the photographs that there is still paint on the 20 inch bar.

I just installed a new chain that has not touch any wood.

This is the largest saw John Deere offers and sells new for just under $450.00

If interested please call Bill at 816-589-0048
Here is a Review and Comparison to Stihl:

Our final decision was the John Deere Chain Saw CS56. This is classified as a heavy-duty pro-series chain saw.

Comparisons Between Same Class Models of John Deere CS56 and the Stihl MS290

Both have 4.1 horsepower.

John Deere has the best power-to-weight ratio in its class of all chainsaws.

John Deere has a magnesium crankcase, while the Stihl does not. The Stihl crankcase is made of molded plastic.

John Deere has a magnesium clutch cover, while the Stihl does not. The John Deere having both a magnesium crankcase and a magnesium cover makes the John Deere more durable and a longer life than plastic crankcases.

John Deere has a three-piece forged crankshaft and forged connecting rod for durability and strength, while the Stihl does not.

John Deere has a decompression valve, while the Stihl does not.

John Deere has a closed transfer port, while the Stihl does not. The John Deere closed transfer port is largely responsible for its progressive torque and superb power. The Stihl has an open port system.

John Deere has a wafered connecting rod, while the Stihl does not. The wafered connecting rod promotes lubrication and heat dissipation of bearings.

John Deere has a primer bulb for quick starting, while the Stihl does not.

Both have a no oil at idle. This feature reduces oil consumption and keeps the environment cleaner.

John Deere has an aluminum front handle, while the Stihl does not.

John Deere has a 2 year warranty with a lifetime on ignition, while the Stihl has a one year warranty.

More Features and Specs

56.5 cc's

Idle Speed: 2,800 RPM

WOT (with bar and chain): 13,000-13,500 RPM

Power: 4.1 hp/3.1kW (9,400 RPM)

Fuel Capacity: 23.7 ounces

Inertia chain brake

Safe-T-Tip Anti-Kickback nose guard

Low kickback chain allow for safer operation

Self-cleaning air filter, which extends usage time between cleanings

Three-shoe clutch that helps prevent slippage

Reference notches on housing to promote safety and precision in felling trees

Fuel tank/handle separate from chassis to result in lower vibration, reduced fuel temperature and increased fuel capacity

Automatic chain oiler, gear driven

Weight is 12.6 lbs

Acceptable bar lengths are 16 inches through 24 inches

Determining What Bar Length You Need

For those who do not quite understand the purposes of bar lengths, it is for the diameter size of the tree(s) you will be using it for. The 16 inch size was not long enough for our trees; therefore, we bought ours with a 20 inch bar length.

Performance

Since spring of this year, we have cut to length over 20 cords of wood to be split by our log splitter. The engine is very powerful and the lighter weight is very noticeable when compared with our Husqvarna that had a bit smaller horsepower.

The engine is still in what is called the breaking-in period, since it requires 20 hours of usage or 30 tanks of fuel, before it is considered broken in.

The engine requires about 4-5 pulls before it starts. After the breaking-in period, it should require less pulls.

After cutting over 20 cords of timber, our chain needed to be sharpened. The chain on the John Deere CS56 is a .325 pitch with 78 drivers. Prices vary for sharpening, ranging from $4.00 - $5.00. A new chain will cost approximately $18 - $20.00.

Safety Features

The John Deere CS56 is equipped with a spark arresting muffler screen to prevent a fire hazard. Keeping this clean of debris is very important.

Chain brakes are designed to rapidly stop the chain from rotating. When the chain brake lever/hand guard is pushed toward the bar, the chain should stop immediately. A chain brake however, does not prevent kickback.

Kickback occurs when the moving chain contacts an object at the upper portion of the tip of the guide bar or when the wood closes in and pinches the saw chain in the cut. Contact at the upper portion of the tip of the guide bar can cause the chain to dig into the object and stop the chain for an instant. The result is a lightning fast, reverse action, which kicks the guide bar up and towards the operator. If the saw chain is pinched along the top of the guide bar, the guide bar can be driven rapidly back towards the operator. Both can cause serious injury to the operator.

The John Deere CS56 is equipped with a Safe-T-Tip Anti-Kickback Nose Guard. The Safe-T-Tip prevents kickback from happening because it covers the tip of the bar where kickback is generated. Inexperienced operators should never attempt any kind of cutting with the Safe-T-Tip removed. However, do not rely exclusively on any safety feature built into the saw. Always keep a firm grip with both hands and cut with the engine running at full speed.

The John Deere CS56 is equipped with a Low Kickback Saw Chain which means that the depth gauges ahead of each cutter which can minimize the force of a kickback reaction by preventing the cutters from digging in too deeply at the kickback zone.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 1687683545-0 image 1687683545-1

NeoTree

NeoTree

ArboristSite Guru
Check out this craigslisters method of selling his efco deere saw...

http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/1687683545.html
After cutting over 20 cords of timber, our chain needed to be sharpened. The chain on the John Deere CS56 is a .325 pitch with 78 drivers. Prices vary for sharpening, ranging from $4.00 - $5.00. A new chain will cost approximately $18 - $20.00.

Lol, my favorite part. After cutting 20 cords of wood....

I bet he sells used cars

SawGarage

SawGarage

Addicted to ArboristSite
Echo 4500 $50

Bought a 031AV off this guy a week ago...

saw the Echo sitting there and didn't think to ask....lol

http://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/1689365236.html

Good guy.

Echo Chain Saws.4500 - $50 (Spencer)
Date: 2010-04-12, 8:48PM EDT

I have a echo chain saw for sale.I bought it new about 22 years ago and am still useing now.I have up graded my fleet to new stihls and dont need it any longer.Its not in mint or new condition but its a good backup saw.Asking $50. If your interested contact me at [email protected] and leave your # and all you guys that are annoying every body on CL please stop bothering people.Thanks

ECRUPPRECHT

ECRUPPRECHT

ArboristSite Operative
what are these people thinking?????

MS 660 magnum - $1500 (sterling heights)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-03-15, 7:11PM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ms 660 magnum chainsaw new used 2 times. comes with new bar. 1500 obo email for details

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1645783148

Moss Man

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
what are these people thinking?????

MS 660 magnum - $1500 (sterling heights)

Date: 2010-03-15, 7:11PM EDT

ms 660 magnum chainsaw new used 2 times. comes with new bar. 1500 obo email for details

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1645783148

Please post the Craigslist link for this ad? There has been a scammer trying to sell a bogus 660 for the last couple months on there.

Moss Man

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
if i was going to try and sell a bogus saw i wouldnt try to sell it for 50% over new cost

That might not be the scammer I had trouble with. The person I had issue with would put their own email in the ad text and that ad doesn't have it.

Maybe they set the price high and when someone emails them they agree to a lower price and proceed from there.

Thanx for posting the link.

Latest posts