I scored 2 dolmars!! 7300 and 7400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 280290 here is the 7900. I will post other saw pics later. The 36" bar is a stihl yellow tip.I have machined adaptor to run stihl bars.I run opti-2 in my saws. It comes in a plastic tube, sposed to be fine for any ratio. I talked to a guy that works for a rental company he swares by the stuff and so does my saw mechanic. But lets here it from you haters...

Just watch running a 36" bar on a 7900. Oil supply will be right on the limit. Personally I won't exceed 32". Also is that Opti-2 the gear that can supposedly run at 100:1?
If so then yeah, I'm a hater. Your luck will run out at ratios like that one day as there is absolutely no margin for error.

View attachment 280290 here is the 7900. I will post other saw pics later. The 36" bar is a stihl yellow tip.I have machined adaptor to run stihl bars.I run opti-2 in my saws. It comes in a plastic tube, sposed to be fine for any ratio. I talked to a guy that works for a rental company he swares by the stuff and so does my saw mechanic. But lets here it from you haters...

I have 16",20" and 2 24" inch bars. I also have a olympyk 241 with a 14" bar for limbing she's old but man she runs.

I won't hate on Opti-2... It's way better than running some junk no-name box store lube! I think it's synthetic and they sell it in 1.8oz tubes which mixes down to 71:1 in 1 gallon of gas. We used to run Opti-2 in everything but I started buying cases of 2.5gallon mix Woodland Pro full synthetic.

Those olympic saws were good runners. They were much better than today's Efco's. Don't get me wrong the Efco's are ok but they won't hold up like the old girls used to.

Just watch running a 36" bar on a 7900. Oil supply will be right on the limit. Personally I won't exceed 32". Also is that Opti-2 the gear that can supposedly run at 100:1?
If so then yeah, I'm a hater. Your luck will run out at ratios like that one day as there is absolutely no margin for error.

Yeah I don't exceed more than a 30inch on my 7901 but if you only need a 36inch for limited use a time or two a year you should be fine. Just rev your saw a little in between cuts and make sure you get lube all the way down the bar. Using Stihl oilomatic chain with the little holes in the feet of the chain helps to drag oil up the bar using capillary action. Before I had the 9010 I would also thin a gallon jug of bar oil with 5w30 full synthetic oil. Thinner runs quicker through the pump and the synthetic protects the bar and chain better. Again a little extra $$$ that what was probably not needed, but my 36inch was only used a time or two a year on the 7901...

Btw I sold my 051 with 25"bar and 20" bar both with 2 good chains for $200 and my 031 with 16" bar for $ 100. Man that 051 got the job done for me but holy sh** was it a heavy s.o.b.

Btw I sold my 051 with 25"bar and 20" bar both with 2 good chains for $200 and my 031 with 16" bar for $ 100. Man that 051 got the job done for me but holy sh** was it a heavy s.o.b.

Yeah the old stuff runs great with plenty of power but after you start cutting more than 2cords a year you'll start looking for something that has more power and less weight. The good old saws are great for the average joe that doesn't do more than a couple weekends of cutting a year, or just a couple wind damaged trees...

Yeah the old stuff runs great with plenty of power but after you start cutting more than 2cords a year you'll start looking for something that has more power and less weight. The good old saws are great for the average joe that doesn't do more than a couple weekends of cutting a year, or just a couple wind damaged trees...

I must not be too average, then .....

The only time for me that the height/weight/axial balance to power/weight ratio comes into play is for limbing. I want to get that crap done and the brush moved ASAP.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I must not be too average, then .....

The only time for me that the height/weight/axial balance to power/weight ratio comes into play is for limbing. I want to get that crap done and the brush moved ASAP.

:hmm3grin2orange:

haters are going to be on me like flies to a turd sandwich once I say this but they can take a hike!

I use a top handle to nip limbs so I can use my free hand to toss them out of the way...

haters are going to be on me like flies to a turd sandwich once I say this but they can take a hike!

I use a top handle to nip limbs so I can use my free hand to toss them out of the way...

Don't worry old son, I've got your back on this one. I do the same.
Arborists will try to convince you that they are the only ones skilled enough to safely handle a 200T etc but I digress...

Don't worry old son, I've got your back on this one. I do the same.
Arborists will try to convince you that they are the only ones skilled enough to safely handle a 200T etc but I digress...

Don't tell anyone but I do the same... :D

I won't hate on Opti-2... It's way better than running some junk no-name box store lube! I think it's synthetic and they sell it in 1.8oz tubes which mixes down to 71:1 in 1 gallon of gas. We used to run Opti-2 in everything but I started buying cases of 2.5gallon mix Woodland Pro full synthetic.

Those olympic saws were good runners. They were much better than today's Efco's. Don't get me wrong the Efco's are ok but they won't hold up like the old girls used to.

Yeah I don't exceed more than a 30inch on my 7901 but if you only need a 36inch for limited use a time or two a year you should be fine. Just rev your saw a little in between cuts and make sure you get lube all the way down the bar. Using Stihl oilomatic chain with the little holes in the feet of the chain helps to drag oil up the bar using capillary action. Before I had the 9010 I would also thin a gallon jug of bar oil with 5w30 full synthetic oil. Thinner runs quicker through the pump and the synthetic protects the bar and chain better. Again a little extra $$$ that what was probably not needed, but my 36inch was only used a time or two a year on the 7901...

My dad has a 264 olympyk its comparable to my 036 pro. Its a lil slower and heavier but its smoother IMO.

Thanks for all the bar info and tips I prob shouldnt have bought the 36" inch bar but its like new and came with 4 chains.

My dad has a 264 olympyk its comparable to my 036 pro. Its a lil slower and heavier but its smoother IMO.

Thanks for all the bar info and tips I prob shouldnt have bought the 36" inch bar but its like new and came with 4 chains.

if you use the 36in bar on the 7900 you can have someone use spray lube on the opposite side of the log while ur cutting too...

cheers
nate

Maybe you didn't pick up on the sarcasm in my post :)

hehe...you shouldn't have to admit that but...I guess it helps...or at least clarifies...I just got a PS 510, runs like it should...great...gonna be a fun 50cc saw..Got it cause it has what I like best: inboard clutch/rim sprocket (3/8-7)/18" bar/outboard chain adjust...everything I like...same as my Stihl...don't get better than that for a backyard firewood hack...No screwing around w/the chain break on the clutch cover!....

Last edited:
Back