I stole some precut firewood today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
about three face cords actually. Some were to long for my splitter.. Guy needs a tape measure.
The story is.. after we had the farm logged a neighbor called and asked if he could cut some wood fer himself. We said yeah, Take what you want and pile the brush neatly against the woodline. Which he did a nice job of.. I called him about a month ago, and advised him to get what he wanted out of the HAY field. as we need to get it cleaned up before hay season. He has not been back since.
So the past few days I have been cleaning up the remaining tops and he had several piles of cut wood just laying there.. Oh well it is split and stacked behind my house now.,. Next time a guy does something nice for you.. Do not take advantage of his kindness,, Otherwise when he is asked again the answer will likely be different.. a forsure NO>?
I will end up with about 3 more face cords of Oak, ash and poplar but I have to cut the tops and pile the brush my ownself..

It was mine to start with sort of..

I have a feeling he is the type of guy that wants to cut wood only in woodburning season. where as I prefer to cut year round and stay ahead of the game. I ahve about 30 face cords cut so far for next year.

I have a feeling he is the type of guy that wants to cut wood only in woodburning season. where as I prefer to cut year round and stay ahead of the game. I ahve about 30 face cords cut so far for next year.
30 face cords!!!!!! Dats 10 (about) cords! What the heck you heating there man?!:blob2: :blob2:

And as for your generous offer to help a neighbour, tuff cookies for him, what did he expect? To let it season in your fields, hmmm, I think NOT. Sheesh, some people just look at the 'gift horse' and ask "How fast does it run?", never thinkin' it was given just ta get 'em outta town...............oi. :(

Get ta run the wee MS270 real soon again (so far soooo happy :) ) in some various woods, group I help out (and who sold me the saw) have about 14 truckloads of logs dropped at a flat spot, a gift, and me get to beat myself up for da cause (helpin' the poor (er))! YAYA! (will post on saw's performance after its break-in, and, get some pics too as I finally got my camera drivers installed again).

Eric, don't be feeling guilty about cleaning up your field eh, no big deal. :rockn: :rockn:

:cheers:

Serge

Sounds about par for the course. I just say no, or if in good mood maybe Ill cut some for you when I have time.

30 face cords!!!!!! Dats 10 (about) cords! What the heck you heating there man?!:blob2: :blob2:

And as for your generous offer to help a neighbour, tuff cookies for him, what did he expect? To let it season in your fields, hmmm, I think NOT. Sheesh, some people just look at the 'gift horse' and ask "How fast does it run?", never thinkin' it was given just ta get 'em outta town...............oi. :(

Get ta run the wee MS270 real soon again (so far soooo happy :) ) in some various woods, group I help out (and who sold me the saw) have about 14 truckloads of logs dropped at a flat spot, a gift, and me get to beat myself up for da cause (helpin' the poor (er))! YAYA! (will post on saw's performance after its break-in, and, get some pics too as I finally got my camera drivers installed again).

Eric, don't be feeling guilty about cleaning up your field eh, no big deal. :rockn: :rockn:

Serge

Oh I do not feel a bit guilty.. I gave him more than enough notice.. We did not take him to raise you know.

As for helping the poorer, I want to have another get together to help the widow lady.. She is a good woman and her husband Had no idea he was leaving this earth at 49. She is a good Christian woman and I am sure can not afford high heating bills during the winter.
I thought we could have one at her place, but her woods were timbered to many years ago.. The tops are all pretty much shot. So I will either have it here again, or load up top logs and haul to her place and unload in her yard.
I am still trying to decide how and when..
At the Indiana GTG we cut split and delivered four pick up loads of wood to her, And boy did she make a group of men feel great about being alive.

Anyone have any ideas?
I highjacked my own post. geesh

Last edited:
Oh I do not feel a bit guilty.. I gave him more than enough notice.. We did not take him to raise you know.

As for helping the poorer, I want to have another get together to help the widow lady.. She is a good woman and her husband Had no idea he was leaving this earth at 49. She is a good Christian woman and I am sure can not afford high heating bills during the winter.
I thought we could have one at her place, but her woods were timbered to many years ago.. The tops are all pretty much shot. So I will either have it here again, or load up top logs and haul to her place and unload in her yard.
At the Indiana GTG we cut split and delivered four pick up loads of wood to her, And boy did she make a group of men feel great about being alive.

Anyone have any ideas?
LOLOL, you ain't the first!
Probably during the summer when you boys are all sweaty and covered in sawdust and in need of a nice pat on da back and a cold one (just an educated guess here)................how? I have no :pumpkin2: idea, ain't my nick 'o' the woods :laugh: (good on ya all though imho) I'm one of those nuts that takes pride in being able to help out people in need, sometimes it works, sometimes not, but damn-it its hard to ask directions sometimes :p

Last edited:

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd definitely be down for another firewood GTG once it cools down a bit. The cut/split on site at your place and then transport it over method worked pretty well last time, so we could probably just do the same thing again...

If you start thinking seriously about this, maybe a new Firewood Donation GTG thread will be in order.

Sounds fun keep me up to date. I know I have about 3 miles of fence rows that need to be cut...and there not just one tree fence rows there about 2 to 3 wide......Lots work but lots of wood.

Are these on your property, or is this a paid job sort of thing?

Not my land but me and the land owner are pretty good buddies and its a good for me and good for him. He just doesnt want it to be sold....I dont care I have fire wood for a long time.

Not my land but me and the land owner are pretty good buddies and its a good for me and good for him. He just doesnt want it to be sold....I dont care I have fire wood for a long time.

Well, if I start running low on firewood I guess I know who to get in touch with!

EDIT: In all seriousness, if you ever want to spend a day cutting firewood to donate/freecycle, let me know. I know that the freecycle crowd will come pick it up, and I'm always up for a day of cutting. Once it cools down, anyway!

Last edited:
Well, if I start running low on firewood I guess I know who to get in touch with!

EDIT: In all seriousness, if you ever want to spend a day cutting firewood to donate/freecycle, let me know. I know that the freecycle crowd will come pick it up, and I'm always up for a day of cutting. Once it cools down, anyway!

Its all green still standing timber. I will be out tonight after work on this muggy day cutting some wood or spliting some wood.

Thinking on this point of given free wood away, theres is a crap ton of poplar trees out there and If that would work to get a few truck loads out there for some people, I dont want to be rude but all the oaks and cherrys I wouldnt mine keeping myself.

If you donate wood can you take it of your income tax?

don't worry....judge judy would have ruled in your favor on that one. :biggrinbounce2:

MS310 and Computeruser....where are you guys located? I'm in Wixom, but I hunt/cut at US23 and North Territorial. Any hunting land near you for lease?

as for a GTG

I think we will wait til end of October. That way Shipper50 will be back up and going on his new knee.
As for wood.. Oh Mercy I have lots and lots of tops..
Plus I finally got the 4x4 tractor engine rebuilt.. so Now I can drag out more to a staging area..(This time a more accessible ones to those with Chevys) I have a place near the road that the loggers staged the logs. it will work excellent as I already have some hickory logs right there stashed back in the woods getting harder with every day that passes. LOL
But yeah I would like to donate some wood to the widow lady again.
I sure did feel like I was blessed by the time we left her place after unloading and stacking the wood.and the hugs and tears she shed upon my shoulder.

Latest posts

Back