I think I finally got some Oak!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, but that there is Hickory!

It does look a little like bitternut hickory and I've worked up a few of those. It split a lot harder than any bitternut I've ever done though. Bitternuts I've dealt with will split with one or two wacks with a maul, even did a 3 fter down the middle on every single piece. This stuff the bark was stringy sometimes and the center fibers would hold. I know there can be different variations in the same tree family but this is VERY different from the others I've done.

I have never seen a northern red oak, but that bark is too thin for southern red oak. Doesn't quite look like bitternut hickory bark either though. Most the bitternut I deal with is smaller trees though so the bark would look a little different. Any chance of a picture of a smaller limb? The wood grain does look more like hickory than oak and hickory is much harder to split. Lots of stringy fibers hold the wood together so that you have to run a wedge all the way thru almost ever split. Red oak splits much easier. As soon as red oak pops open the split will almost fall apart with very little holding it together. Hickory also smells much better than oak as red oak will have a "cat pee" smell to it.

Here's what some northern red oak looks like!
u6a3areb.jpg
basezymu.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Here are some more pics of the limb wood. Sounds like Oak is still eluding me? This split a lot different than the Bitternut I worked up in the past and that's why I didn't think it was that. The bark does look like it though. I know from beech wood that even the same varirty of tree, from the same woods can vary on the splitability, even on straight grain.

MVC-001S_4.JPG

MVC-002S_3.JPG

MVC-003S_2.JPG

MVC-004S_1.JPG

MVC-005S_1.JPG

As far as looking for leaves and nuts under the tree, 90 MPH + winds tend to make that pretty much unreliable. There was much at all left around the tree as it pulled one completely out of the ground.

MVC-006S_1.JPG

A lot of the bark was real "chewy" as it split and did this. In any event it's hardwood so all is good! ;)

Where's the log lift. Didn't you put one on that when you built it? Those splits look mighty thin. You like um skinny?

Split up 3 loads like this, this morning. Standing 3 years dead ash and they are going straight to the boiler house to burn later in the Winter. More your size?

MVC-001S_5.JPG

MVC-002S_4.JPG

I normally wheel them in on a cart through the big door but was going to load the boiler a round first. One less handling!

Small limb is bitternut or pignut hickory for sure. I split all my wood by hand so I consider hickory to be about the toughest to split. For a straight grained piece when hit with a maul it pops open pretty easy but all those little fibers hold the splits together. You can't pull it apart by hand so you have to keep driving the wedge into the log or use an ax to cut thru all the little fibers sticking together. Of course if you put it on a splitter it will bust pretty easy but you have to use the full stroke to cut the fibers or pull the splits apart with a wide wedge. This is one of the reasons that hickory is used for handles on axes, hammers, shovels etc. It holds together better than almost any other wood. It is also among the best wood out there for BTU's and also has some really good smoke flavor for making BBQ. I tend to use the white wood for making ax handles, the heart wood for the smoker, and every thing else goes into the wood stove. Of course bugs love hickory too so I try to burn it 1 year after cutting just to eliminate the piles of dust that boring beetles leave. It also pops and throws sparks a lot too so many people don't like it in an open fire place. I think it is the bugs that really make it pop so bad. I have a real love/ hate relationship with hickory. Love the heat, smell, durability for handles, but hate having to split it, all the dust the bugs leave, all the popping when I open the stove, and hauling the weight of the green stuff.

Hickory. I'm no arborist, but my belly recognizes Hickory. Do yourself a favor and make some chuncks for tossing on the Weber. Won't be fit to heat with for a year or so, but its ready for smoking now.

Latest posts

Back