I wanna do it, am I crazy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build The Sob

Make it as bad as you can afford. You will be proud. I finished mine up a month ago. Worked a few bugs out with help from some of these guys.Thanks guys.(Kevin) I have a 9 sec time and shes flawless. I had to scrounge what I didnt have here but when done $666.11 is exactly what I have in it. I don't figure time for fun hobby stuff(theropy) I don't have a fancy camera and wouldnt even know how to post pics. Wish I could because like I said, I'm proud of my newest toy.Go for it.

nice splitter jag looks to be set up almost like mine. i came in right aroud $640. did alot of scrounging. the hydralic lines killed me. I,m in the middle of a firewood proceser, real low budget but it comming along great. i think half the fun is scrounging.

nice splitter jag looks to be set up almost like mine. i came in right aroud $640. did alot of scrounging. the hydralic lines killed me. I,m in the middle of a firewood proceser, real low budget but it comming along great. i think half the fun is scrounging.
Thanks Grampakev, she's been a good one. 5 years in the field with zippo for maint. Must have got something right:) . Scrounging was kinda fun too. Lots of places to look if you get creative. We have a company in the closest town that builds big stuff (buildings, the MO. arch, etc.) they gave me the I beam for hauling it away, as well as some of the heavy steel needed for it, including the low hydrogen rod used for the splitting wedge. It earned them a nice cold case of bud (what can I say, thats what they drank). They wouldn't take a dime for it otherwise. Nice guys.

I guess I was bragging somewhere that it was badass, my bad.

I found the offensive post, I can see how this could have been seen as conceited, sorry about my arrogance!

As long as you bevel you're material, and aren't in a hurry, BUY a good one, and to proud, yes, you can do a LOT with them!!!
I have nothing but good things to say of that little Miller, I wish I owned one, I have been amazed at what you can do with them!!!

Lets see, my main welder is it's own power supply, so no issues there:)
Hobart Champion 10k, Campel Hausfield 110 arc, Campel Hausfield 110 wire feed (junk), Forney 220 180amp arc (SWEET and going to work!!)

I found the offensive post, I can see how this could have been seen as conceited, sorry about my arrogance!
Lets see, my main welder is it's own power supply, so no issues there :)

I can see right there what the problem is.....where you used the smiley face, you should have used 2.

:hmm3grin2orange: sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't think you are wrong at all for wanting to make your own splitter. If you think you can build one tons cheaper than buying it that just isn't very likely but not impossible. Here is my splitter and I am glad I was able to build it and would build again if I ever got a chance to.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60070

Build away......:clap:

hedg, nice splitter, i just built one about 4 months ago, but i have almost enough parts to build another, i'll be getting called back to work in about 3 weeks (construction truck driver) i think i might have the time.:confused:

first of all, my point was that a suspension with leaf springs is much safer to tow. nothing wrong with a solid suspension, but, as others have said, at hi speeds, it has a tendency to bounce off the ground, not to mention the stresses put on it.

secondly, if you're making your own from scratch, it's important to at least have the axles, no matter what type you are using, squared or perpendicular to the tongue to give it the best handling as possible. surely i don't need to explain that further...right?

Springs! Oh yeah thats a good idea, real good .them things go nuts.

I am not sure why there is so much opposition to springs on a splitter. If it is going to be road tow-able (at road speeds), its only logical to have a suspension. Basically all trailers that are road worthy have it, and have for lots of years. Its not like it is new and secret technology.

If a suspension splitter does get goofy on the road, first of all, something is wrong with the design. Second, most of that could probably be cured by welding a couple of light mounts on it and strapping a couple of light duty shocks on.:clap:

Now, with that said, if a splitter has a log lifter, keep in mind that you will get spring deflection when lifting those big monsters. Happy building.

I put suspension and lights on every thing I build yard trailer, grill, or splitter. The reason is that although a towed vehicle was made for one purpose or location I want it to be able to go any place anytime without restriction. I have used the yard trailer to haul a single appliance to the cottage it is small enough and light enough where if I had a flat I can put it on it's side by my self to change tire yet rides smoothly on the interstate or off road.

I put suspension and lights on every thing I build yard trailer, grill, or splitter. The reason is that although a towed vehicle was made for one purpose or location I want it to be able to go any place anytime without restriction. I have used the yard trailer to haul a single appliance to the cottage it is small enough and light enough where if I had a flat I can put it on it's side by my self to change tire yet rides smoothly on the interstate or off road.

hey, man...nice grill you made there!!

is it for personal use or do you do parties and stuff like that?

The grill I found on the side of the rode the owner was throwing it out it originally had 1 1/4" pipe for legs I mounted it on an old yard trailer. It's a Belson commercail grill. I just finished making a pig roasting attachment for it.

jags
Hedge - nice splitter. Looks like a very close cousin to my design. Congrats on a good build.

grampakev
hedg, nice splitter, i just built one about 4 months ago, but i have almost enough parts to build another, i'll be getting called back to work in about 3 weeks (construction truck driver) i think i might have the time.

Thanks I hope it gives someone an idea for their own splitter. So far It has split about 10-12 cord and has been darn good to me. I have to admit that in the future I would like to get a tor-flex axle and upgrade it so it has suspension. It trails well and the tounge weight is just enough that I have to work a little to move it but it still isn't so overly heavy that I can't grab it and pull it around the shop or around a split pile if needed. It only bounces up and down if I hit a big pot hole or such. :cheers:

I've got springs, but mine doesn't count as it was a failure because I broke it already. So I am no help.

Latest posts

Back