I Want To Buy First Mill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26newtreeguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I got husky 575xp with 24" & 32" bars. So that what I'am got to start with. I just want to mill some boards to finish part of my basement. Then after the build same wood shed. So what should I go with. Thanks for any help.
Carl

Go to the Baileys site and look at the 36 inch Granberg mill. I use a Granberg and like it a lot. Im sure that you will get a few different opinions from the guys here. Good luck.

I also use the 36" alaskan. Wish I would have bought the 48". You think 36" is more than enough, but when you try to start cutting crotch pieces, it is very easy to excede the 36" mill capacity. Also realize you will lose 5-6" of the usable space due to bar clamps. I don't know husyk, so i don't know how much power your saw has, but the more power the better. Im currently using an 066 stihl, ~90cc's 7HP and can see that more would be better on larger cuts. Working on getting an 084 operating to help on larger cuts. Hope this helps.

Alaskan CSM

You can't go wrong with the Alaskan 36" (except you will occasionally need a larger capacity as previously noted). The majority of milling will be handled by the 36". You can slab a larger cant to make it fit a 36". The 575 will be at it's limit with the 36". I am running a (on clearance at Lowes for $170!!) Husky Rancher 455 on my 36". 24" bar with Bailey's ripping chain. I added a home made auxiliary oiler on the end. I limit the max cut to 16.25". Works OK but slow and underpowered. Must keep sharp chain. Have started a savings fund for a Husky 395. Have reluctantly decided to sell a rifle to speed the process. :(
I made guide rails from galvanized unistrut. Less than $30. Had 90 degree brackets on hand from previous jobs. Makes an excellent, adjustable system. VERY accurate. I have since moved the brackets on the end of the unistrut to the bottom. My system is evolving as I gain experience.

Last edited:
Another Alaskan guy here, and +1 on the 36"...you will end up needing it.

Casey Forrest is a GB guy, and the GB is a really good mill too, just a lot harder to find. Besides, the Granbergs are really nice people, and Bailey's is a sponsor. Match made in AS. While you are on, order a 42" Oregon bar and a couple of loops of Woodsman Pro ripping chain.

Mark

GB guy here, Dean at Washington Hot Saws(AS sponsor) can hook you up with one. I went with a 44" rails on the mill and a 42" bar for the saw. So far I've used it on a 24" bar and 32" bar and it's not too cumbersome.

GB user here. My opinion... for a smaller saw (70-80 cc range) and bar up to 36", go with the Alaskan. It's a bit simpler to mount and use than the GB. GB's biggest advantage over the Alaskan is that it bolts to the power-head and bar vs. the bar only. This is really only an advantage if you are running big saws (100cc+) with long bars (60"+). Again, just my opinion.

GB user here. My opinion... for a smaller saw (70-80 cc range) and bar up to 36", go with the Alaskan. It's a bit simpler to mount and use than the GB. GB's biggest advantage over the Alaskan is that it bolts to the power-head and bar vs. the bar only. This is really only an advantage if you are running big saws (100cc+) with long bars (60"+). Again, just my opinion.

But, you have valuable opinions. Experience pays.

Mark

first mill

If you are looking for a CSM then there are many around for sale, Alaskan Mill, www.granberg.com there are often second hand ones for sale on eBay , another CSM and one that beats the Alaskan chainsaw type hands down is the Ripsaw, www.ripsaw.com

its really a bandsaw driven by a chainsaw motor, it has less capacity than some of the chainsaw mills, but can still handle logs of 20 inches across if you turn them.

It all depends on how much cash you have, how much and what type of timber you are going to cut, how much you can collect, get for nothing, etc, if you can get timber for free then your are laughing all the way to the bank, if you need to process the wood quickly, then >

> Ripsaw is the one to have there, backed by a CSM, if you want an easier life than the back breaking work of the CSM, then its one of the portable bandsaw mills, and >
> one that is often overlooked is the Alaska Bandsaw mill,
www.alaskabandsawmills.com this is a real alternative to many others costing four times the amount of cash than most of the branded bandsaw mill it has real potential and is fully portable by ATV if needed, and can get to place where most of the others cannot.

Hope this is of help

Davy.

I think I'am going to look into the to 36 Alaskan mill. I only got saw work right know one broke. Two of them are climbing saw, 200mst, 338xp and final 575xp. I'am looking to get another saw. I think going with 357xp. I need mid size saw for ground work. Then after that going with 395xp for sum power. But the 36 inch alaskan mill I think will fit my needs for right know. Thanks alot for all you help guys.

Latest posts

Back