I want to improve my climbing rig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I can't do YouTube on DialUp. :bang:

It is a video of some buffoon trying to climb into a pickup on a tailgate step. Of course it is a ridiculous video, and the guy does an exceptionally skilled job of not being able to climb into a pickup truck. 3-4 minutes later, he finally makes it, but only after a very muscular assistant bodily pushes him in after multiple tries at that, also.

Somehow, I suspect that there are deliberate similarities to this thread. I will refrain from calling them analogies; it's sure to start another fight.

It is a video of some buffoon trying to climb into a pickup on a tailgate step. Of course it is a ridiculous video, and the guy does an exceptionally skilled job of not being able to climb into a pickup truck. 3-4 minutes later, he finally makes it, but only after a very muscular assistant bodily pushes him in after multiple tries at that, also.

Somehow, I suspect that there are deliberate similarities to this thread. I will refrain from calling them analogies; it's sure to start another fight.

I don't get it

we could not be that lucky. mabye they can also delete these 11 pages of BS.:sucks:

O.K. this thread is startin to suck, because it's gone from improving my climbing rig to a degenerative back slide of vocabulary.

So I'm pulling the cord on this one before it free falls into the record books.

What !? I think this thread is doing fine.

Reading this thread is just like spending time watching youtube; mostly filled with idiots doing stupid things and hurting themselves.

It's all just entertainment, and I don't feel any need to worry about the fate of the victims.

What !? I think this thread is doing fine.

Reading this thread is just like spending time watching youtube; mostly filled with idiots doing stupid things and hurting themselves.

It's all just entertainment, and I don't feel any need to worry about the fate of the victims.

:welcome:

PLOP

GLURGLE

Now just site back and watch it all circle the drain. :popcorn:

Or you could learn to tie dress and set your hitch properly, and leave the extra gear on the ground when climbing Ddrt.

What do you weigh Carbie? If your hitch is properly tied, dressed, and set, and is still tightening up too much, tie it with an extra wrap or two.

The extra wrap is working out well.

Thanks

Now that the hitch is working good, I've started using it to descend with a biner under it for back up. Works real well.

Last edited:
Load at TIP using DRT

Carb,
Here is an atempt at drawing with words, niether are my strong suit.
If I wiegh 178lbs and am just hanging, motion less then I would load the anchor knot (where my rope tyes to my carabiner) with 178lbs, now if that 178lbs was not counter acted by a equal force I would not remain still, the 178lbs at anchor point has to be matched by an equall 178lbs at the friction hitch so the working end of the rope has to have a load of 178lbs and the standing end of the rope has to have 178lbs equals 356lbs at TIP, when I want to hoist my self up I have to put a down force of 178lbs or more due to friction on the captive end of the rope so that I can haul up the 178lbs that is still on the working end of the rope, DRT is a 1:1 Redirect (meaning I have to pull 1 to pull 1) set up, the only mechanical advantage is that the friction at the TIP allows delay in load, on a loss less pulley the load would be equal 1X climber pulling down one side of the branch,and 1x climber + friction pulling said climber up, so 2 x climber at TIP I am a tecnological retard to draw a picture on a computer, and have probably confused you with the way I talk in circles, but hope it makes sense,
Paul

PS if you put a tension scale at your anchor knot, then to your snap or carabiner,to your harness, and another tension scale mid line above your split tail, on accension you would get your dressed climb wieght at both scales not 1/2 of your climb wieght, there is no mecanical advantage DRT is just a 1:1 redirect. when you pull down you pull down your whole wieght, and you are at the same time hauling up your whole wieght on the other end of the same rope,and the two whole wieghts are both down forcees on the TIP,

Last edited:
Sorry to tell you this, but you got it all wrong.
DRT is a 2 to 1 system, SRT is 1 to 1. When using DRT, the rope goes from the saddle, up over an anchor of some kind ( branch, friction saver, etc. ), and back down to the fiction hitch which is attached to the saddle. Two lines holding you up means that each line carrys half the load ( plus or minus friction ) , and the TIP sees a force equal to the load.
SRT if tied directly to overhead TIP such as with running bowline, means the single line is directly supporting you, so the force on the rope is equal to the load, and so is the force on the TIP.
SRT where the rope goes from your saddle, up OVER a TIP and back down to a low anchor point, puts a force equal to twice the load on the TIP. Each leg of the rope sees a force equal to the load.
Rick

Latest posts

Back