I want to take a big part out of this tree. Is my thinking correct?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose IBEW

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a large stem coming out of the dominant stem of an oak. I want to remove this stem and let the trunk regain its dominance. The stem is protruding towards a pool and in general it is my understanding that this is the correct thing to do. There is one more small branch off of the main trunk that protrudes close to a holly as well that I want to remove. The tree appears very healthy otherwise and my gut feeling tells me that it can handle this major prune come winter time. Is my thought pattern correct here? Thanks in advance.
u4y7uza3.jpg
aduqa6u5.jpg
7y6y3edu.jpg
3eqe4y6e.jpg
y3ada3yb.jpg

I disagree. Feel free to remove that lead and the other minor limb on the main trunk. Just be sure to not cut the offending lead too close to the trunk. The existing root structure will only help to pump nutrients into the new, remaining structure of the tree. Just be sure to do it (like you said) in the dormant (winter) time of the season.

I disagree. Feel free to remove that lead and the other minor limb on the main trunk. Just be sure to not cut the offending lead too close to the trunk. The existing root structure will only help to pump nutrients into the new, remaining structure of the tree. Just be sure to do it (like you said) in the dormant (winter) time of the season.

That would have been sound advice 30 yeas ago but our understanding of tree biology and how a tree reacts to drastic pruning has changed. It would be very unlikely the tree would be able to compartmentalize such a large area.

The size of the cut is concerning to me added to the fact there is not a good collar to guide you. The inclusion bark of a codominant stem is more apparant than a branch collar.

This is what I'm talking about. It's a waste of anyone's time to come into these arborist forums looking for sound advice, right BROTHER?

You shouldn't remove that secondary stem right now, it's too big and the tree wouldn't be able to compartmentalize it. What I would do is reduce the growing capability of the stem you want removed by subordinating it and thinning that stem by about 25-30%. Wait about 5 years and thin it again. After about the 3rd pruning cycle, the stem will now be small enough in relation to the dominant stem for it to be removed. You don't want to remove a subordinate stem or branch that is greater than a third the size of the retained stem. This strategy is based on Ed Gilman's book.

You shouldn't remove that secondary stem right now, it's too big and the tree wouldn't be able to compartmentalize it. What I would do is reduce the growing capability of the stem you want removed by subordinating it and thinning that stem by about 25-30%. Wait about 5 years and thin it again. After about the 3rd pruning cycle, the stem will now be small enough in relation to the dominant stem for it to be removed. You don't want to remove a subordinate stem or branch that is greater than a third the size of the retained stem. This strategy is based on Ed Gilman's book.
Agreed.

Heck, I'm 69 YO and, if that limb was endangering any person or structure, would hack that limb off about 4" out and paint it over with cold process asphalt.

Guess us old farts don't hae the right books. <G>

Latest posts

Back