I want to take a big part out of this tree. Is my thinking correct?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This tree is on my own property. The co dominant stem puts massive amounts of shade onto my pool in the afternoon hours. My girl and I have been here for 2 years now and just spent a good amount of money having a new liner put in our 20x40 in ground pool so this area has become a focal point. I am perfectly able to trim a good portion off of the co dominant stem and get the desired effect that I am looking for. I asked the question based on an educational stand point as I am lacking in this department. I conclude that I could most likely cut the whole stem off and get away with it despite it not being a recommended practice in this day and age. I am going to do a major prune on the secondary stem and prune the branch away from the holly tree on the primary stem for 3 reasons. #1; it will get me the desired effect of exposing the sun to the pool. #2; I think the cut will be so big that it will detract from the overall look of the tree (if I take the whole stem off). #3; This is on my property and I will get to see first hand the product of abiding by modern guidelines.

I am not in any way dismissing what the older generation states as well. I am quite confident that considering the overall health of this tree, it would survive losing the secondary stem. Shoot, its close enough to the pool and there are enough trees surrounding it to warrant removing it. The health of it makes me want to take care of it more than seeing its demise.

I have a beautiful yard of 7 acres, amazing old growth oak, for this area at least. I am thinking about starting a thread just to post pics and question about the trees on my property. I could consolidate all of my questions to one thread and post pics of the work I do and document the long term effects. Hmm....

You are a moron blaster you may be "able" to do it that doesn't mean you should , the trunk will decay at that cut and probably the root flair on that side that poor tree is way beyond your butchering expertise , your wrong but to dumb to know better

I guess I'm one of the old farts, but in my mind I'm still going on 16. Trim a bunch off the leaning stem, and cable it. Try to remove the longest limbs coming off the lean side of the stem, that will reduce the side pull the most.

Took a couple branches out yesterday, its going to look good keeping the 2nd stem.
y7eme3us.jpg
e2y7apyd.jpg

Looks good so far. Just don't remove the lower branches, you want to take weight out of the top of the stem.

My suggestions from what I can see:
- lower branch heading to right - thin tips by 20%.
- main branch junction straight up from the fireplace 1/3 from top - subordinate the tallest branch and thin the rest

You don't want to lion tale (strip all the small branches except for a tuft at the end). Growth hormones focus on areas around the leaves, so if you lions tale a branch, it grows in diameter only near the leaves giving you a long skinny branch which is more susceptible to breakage. If there is foliage along the length of the branch, you will end up with a branch that has more taper and is stronger.

A clear example of this concept is comparing an open growing conifer with branching to to the ground, usually has a large taper to it, whereas a tree growing in a dense forest only has foliage in the top 10% of the tree but has a long straight stem with little taper.

As I mentioned before, in about 5 years, I would reduce this stem further. Ultimately (after several 5 year pruning cycles), due to the foliage reduction (loss of growing capacity) the stem will reduce in size IN RELATION to the main stem. Once the stem becomes 1/4-1/3 the diameter of the mainstem, it could be removed.

In you case, you probably won't be alive/live in that house that long, so I think reducing it will be sufficient.

Where the branch initiates in the tree, there is differentiation between the branch wood and the trunk wood. There is a certain amount of compartmentalization around the branch wood or else any dead rotten branch would lead to trunk decay, which it obviously doesn't.

Some of the limbs on my property spread over 60 away from the trunk. I have high tie in points but still am not the most comfortable at limb walking out to the tips. I think I'm going to order a 2nd rope and maybe set 2 before I go up to work a limb. Once I'm up there I can use the 2nd rope to help stabilize me. I just have this image in my head of losing my footing and slamming back into the trunk, lol.....or maybe not lol! I need to employ re directs is what I'm getting at.

Some of the limbs on my property spread over 60 away from the trunk. I have high tie in points but still am not the most comfortable at limb walking out to the tips. I think I'm going to order a 2nd rope and maybe set 2 before I go up to work a limb. Once I'm up there I can use the 2nd rope to help stabilize me. I just have this image in my head of losing my footing and slamming back into the trunk, lol.....or maybe not lol! I need to employ re directs is what I'm getting at.

If you tie in with your lanyard as well as your climbing line when you limb walk, you won't slam back into the tree.

I have been tying in with my lanyard. Tomorrow I will try using the tail side of my climbing line as a redirect. This has me thinking about setting up a chalk box with some throwline and carrying a throw bag up with me.

Thanks very much for the good information provided. You guys spill more good information and knowledge than you realize.

This is not my first post here, LOL. I have found that IF you ask smart questions with a little humility, you will get some good feedback. If you then go on to show that you have put that information to good use, you will be rewarded with even more insight and knowledge. I am plenty used to weeding out the nonsense and thankfully have enough of a head on my shoulders to do things the best way possible. Thanks again everybody, I will have more pics of progress and the final product in days to come.

Oh yeah, that pool was installed in 1974. Did you notice that stump by the concrete's edge? The flare had grown right around the concrete, pretty cool. That tree was severely stressed, a year or two from being fully dead, close to the house and the pool. It had to go last summer.

Thanks again AS.

Latest posts

Back