I was sad when I should have been giddy...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Worked over in Silverthorne, CO again this week. Yesterday, before driving back to Utah, I had an empty trailer and just "happened" to have my 440 in the truck. A fellow at the hardware store said his neighbor had some lodgepole pine that needed to be moved off some land.

I got necessary permissions, mixed 2 gallons of fuel and headed up the hill only to find about 1.5 cords of pine ranging from 10-18" cut and limbed in various lengths (all small enough for me to load) sitting by the road. There was nothing to do but load it up.

Most would have considered this to be a nice find...but I didn't get to run my saw :cry:. Isn't that most of the fun in gathering firewood? Well, I guess beng out in the woods in a big part of it.

I feel your pain.
Almost every time I come across some free wood, it's already cut.
Picked up a load earlier this year and the woman who was cleaning her yard was complaining about some little tree she wanted down as well but couldn't get the city to come around; grabbed my 036, had some fun and got even more wood.
But that was the only occasion so far.

Reminds me something my FIL said, wood is for burning, metal is for making stuff.

Pine burns just fine, even better when its free.

Last edited:
idk i never have nor will burn pine.
But 95% of wooded land is hardwood especially on my farm.
SO i have an unlimited supply of oak.

Not sure if all you midwest/east coast guys realize but the left coast is full of pine, not ash, maple, locust and elm, and other hardwoods. We have pine, fir, some oak, eucalyptus and misc other orchard type trees, there are no hardwood forests here.

Not sure if all you midwest/east coast guys realize but the left coast is full of pine, not ash, maple, locust and elm, and other hardwoods. We have pine, fir, some oak, eucalyptus and misc other orchard type trees, there are no hardwood forests here.

I suspect they are funning. I would hate to think they are that ignorant.

Harry K

I suspect they are funning. I would hate to think they are that ignorant.

Harry K

Yeah that and the 2 seasons thing. Green pine is ready to burn in like 3 months tops here after its split. Tree beetle stuff is like saw dust when cut down if dead, like throwing cork into a fire. They sell that garbage in the supermarket to yuppies for $7.99 for like 10 small pieces. Better than a Duraflame I guess for getting Saturday night rug burns in front of the "fireplace" :greenchainsaw:

Worked over in Silverthorne, CO again this week. Yesterday, before driving back to Utah, I had an empty trailer and just "happened" to have my 440 in the truck. A fellow at the hardware store said his neighbor had some lodgepole pine that needed to be moved off some land.

I got necessary permissions, mixed 2 gallons of fuel and headed up the hill only to find about 1.5 cords of pine ranging from 10-18" cut and limbed in various lengths (all small enough for me to load) sitting by the road. There was nothing to do but load it up.

Most would have considered this to be a nice find...but I didn't get to run my saw :cry:. Isn't that most of the fun in gathering firewood? Well, I guess beng out in the woods in a big part of it.

I know how you feel. We usually grab our firewood from the same farmers property each year, this time around there was enough wood left from last years episode to meet our needs and because it was late in the season it was decided not to cut for the following year. The saw was there, ready to go and all I could do was look at it. You have to understand that for some of us weekend warriors it's one of only a few opportunities during the year to try things out.

Regarding Pine; I sometimes burn it mixed with other harder woods and it works well. Usually have to season it very well though.

Latest posts

Back