I would like to mill some posts, can anyone help me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papossefan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am pretty new to this site and I have never milled anything with a saw before but I have a couple nice locust trees that were uprooted and I am thinking about milling some posts out of them to add on to my woodshed. I was just wondering what the easiest and least expensive way to do this would be and what exactly I would need. Any suggestions??

Yes I own a 034 and a dolmar 115. I am pretty experienced running a saw, just don't have any experience with milling with one.

Yes I own a 034 and a dolmar 115. I am pretty experienced running a saw, just don't have any experience with milling with one.

Those saws are a little light on the cc side for milling, but if you put a small (20") bar on them that takes 3/8LP chain and stick it in a chain saw mill (csm) you can mill logs up to about 15 inches dia. if you go slow and take it easy. Baileys csm's start at around $150, but you would be ahead of the game by getting the 36" model at around $200. You can always adjust the larger csm to accept smaller bars.

I've milled with similar saws to those 2 in the past. I've milled as large as a 22 inch diameter birch with a 48cc stihl 031 running a 24 inch bar, and baileys lp chain. You will need to run lp chain on either of those saws to mill, at least to mill fast enough. I run baileys lp chain on 24 inch bars all the time (24 used to be baileys recomended largest size bar for lp) on saws up to 82cc's with no problems whatsoever.

how large are the logs? Seeing your just milling posts, the log length can be kept short, which will be easier on your saw. Lp chain, reduces the resistance, making the milling easier.

From where I'm sitting, if you want to get started milling, set up the stihl with an alaskan mill as woodshop suggested, get a 24 inch bar, a few loops of lp chain, learn to sharpen your own chains, and get milling. Your set up will get you started.

Nearly everyone here will tell you to get the largest saw you can afford (or most likely can't justify), in order to even start milling. Well I've milled thousands of feet of lumber with saws similar in size to yours. So it can be done. Get your feet wet milling, make sure milling with a chainsaw is something you are interested in before dumping $800 into a saw etc. Regardless of what you read here, milling with a chainsaw isn't for everyone. It's hard, exhausting work, that you just might not like. Chances are real good that you'll get hooked and want a larger saw. Or you might only mill 1 tree a year, and it will be hard to justify that ms660 for a few board feet a year.

Check out the sponsors here for csm's. I've delt with Baileys and am very satisfied with them.

Find a sawmill and go there.
Be sure there are no nails or fence wire in them.

I'd add that with that LP (low profile) chain, the max bar size is really more like 20". I think bailey's revised their maximum bar recommendation. I tried it on a 32", then a 20" bar with my 394XP, but it was just too powerful. It literally pulls it apart. On bigger bars, it slaps around quite a bit, and stretches quite a bit. If you already have a 20" bar, which is pretty standard for saws that size, you can mill with that. Sometimes those saws will use .325 chain, which there is also milling versions available for, but they have a wider kerf, and therefore use more energy to run. If your bars have replaceable tips, you can save money by just converting them (or getting your local saw-shop to do it for you) to .375 from .325. You'll have to replace the rim sprocket or spur sprocket depending on which type those saws use with the appropriate .375 sprocket. The LP chain really uses MUCH less power to drive. In a pinch when I'd broken the starter cord on my 394 up in the woods, I milled a bit of cherry with a 361, which is a little bigger than what you have, but not by much. It still went pretty fast on 15" dia. logs.

One key I think with using smaller saws, since they're going to be running at wide open throttle for much longer per cut, is to increase the oil mix ratio a bit, like maybe 40:1 or even 35:1 instead of 50:1 to ensure that the saw is getting proper lubrication, and maybe letting it cool a bit for a few minutes or more after each cut. Just take it easy; keep the depth rakers lower than you would with a chain for normal woodcutting, and slide the saw slowly into the log. Let the chain do the work. Its going to make tiny powdery chips no matter how big the saw and no matter how big the log. Remember you're cutting into end grain the entire way up the log. Also, as Aggie has posted in timing tests, an angle of about 15deg. makes a faster cut than 5-10 deg, although its a little rougher cut. This shouldn't matter at all on posts.

Needless to say, you need to make sure that your oiler is up to the task. With the LP chain, it should be a little easier, but if they are adjustable, make sure they are on maximum oiling.

I personally use canola oil for milling; you can find information about it here. I've used it since I got the saw a couple years ago, and have found no problems whatsoever. Some people don't like the idea of using a veggie based product; its up to you, its just that I can use the sawdust on the garden afterwards, and canola is actually viscous to a lower temperature than petroleum oil. Corn oil freezes, however. As long as you don't leave it in the saw for a long time, it doesn't gum up at all.

I'd add that with that LP (low profile) chain, the max bar size is really more like 20". I think bailey's revised their maximum bar recommendation. I tried it on a 32", then a 20" bar with my 394XP, but it was just too powerful. It literally pulls it apart. On bigger bars, it slaps around quite a bit, and stretches quite a bit.

I can say from experience that lp works without issue on my 24 inch bar on an 82 cc pioneer. When I had an 056 87 cc's if memory serves....it also worked without issue. I can say this with total confidence, as 99% of my milling is done with the 24 inch bar and lp. I have used it on saws from 48 cc's to 87 cc's without issue on the 24 inch bar. Soak the new chain overnight in bar oil before the 1st use. This will minimize your "stretch". I firmly believe the "stretch" is the rivet holes elongating upon initial run, and is considerably minimized by pre soaking. I've milled everything from pine to oak with this setup, again, without issue. After the 1st 1/2 hour of milling, I don't have any stretch issues, and I haven't ever broke a lp chain on a 24 inch bar.

I still plan on making up a few chains for my 28 inch bar to try it out. I personally feel it will work just fine. But I won't know until I try it.

If the locust trees are small

They can be easily split with a couple (well 3-4) splitting wedges. If they are bigger, the black powder trick works well. Locust may be heavy, but it splits very easily.:jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back