Ianal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithEC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Saw this acronym for the first time today up in the Homeowner Helper Forum. The next poster jokingly asks what it means and asks the poster if he's obsessive. The acronym poster states that IANAL expands to I Am Not A Lawyer. I suppose the idea that perhaps the poster is obsessive is a bit funny, but to be obsessive is not at all fun. It can cost you a bit of money and a lot of time.

The Chainsaw forumn connection:

I picked up a 260 Pro today (finally). I don't have a service manual. I'm sure that Stihl produces a Nm value to which the spark plug is to be torqued. Who knows that value?

I'm really glad that these manuals don't give a value for bar nuts.

Let's not all answer at once, please.

Thanks!

I put that thread title in all caps like it's supposed to be, but the forumn screwed me. That's BS, but what do you do?

Pretend all the letters in the acronym are capitalized, if you would.

What, no answer so far? I'll give it a whirl.

I did the IANAL post...sorry about that, I thought most folks knew what that meant.

As for the torque wrench settings for spark plugs....a lot of manufacturers don't even seem to include that info anymore. I guess they figure it's not really necessary. It use to be that almost everything had torque numbers included, but it seems that now just snugging them up without overtightening them is sufficient. In other words, go until they stop, make sure they're good and snug without really leaning into them.

I do the same for bar nuts.

As almost nobody used a torque wrench, we just tell them snug+90 degrees... try it.

If you really want to be anal, one of my torque wrenches has torque AND angle of rotation on it... many high end applications specify a torque value and angle of rotation beyond that value.

Back