Ice storm damage to cherry trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
About 12 YO cherry tree, lots of blossoms every year but few cherries survive the bud stage. One problem is afternoon shade from D Fir to the west.
Photo is looking NNW.
Some of the high leaders got bent over badly in an ice storm last year and never recovered.
Has not been pruned for about 5 years.
Was thinking of cutting everything off at the yellow line, just above the previous 'prune'.
2nd option is just remove the whole thing.
Neighbor is starting a beehive this year, also thought to let it go one more year to see if the honeybees give a better yield than random hornet pollination to date.

Have gotten some 'free' certified arborist (I let some dump chips here) advice that the acid from the fir needles and the afternoon shade make fruit bearing a lost cause.
Any comments? Should I try pruning at the yellow line now and hope, leave it as is for one more year, or just hook a cable and chain to the dozer and pull'em out?

NOT at the yellow line. The regrowth since the previous topping is long and leggy. Repeating the error won't gain you anything long term. Pollarding is a possibility as Mike pointed out but I personally don't much care for it It requires proper maintenance which practically noone performs and I am not a fan of the pollarded look. There are some lateral branches about halfway between the old topping cuts and the tips that the tree could be reduced to and then reshaped/restored over the next few years. Before someone screams that those laterals are not ideal and may not meet A300 specs-I know, I'm trying to work with what he's got.

Totally right , Stumper. Yellow line easy to reach but a dumb place to cut. reduce 1/3 to 1/2 of those branches.
Read ANSI A300 5.7.4.1 and you will see that heading cuts (cuts to laterals too small to be apically dominant) is perfectly ok for restoration pruning.
in fact, it's downright necessary.
Any assertions to the contrary are dogma.
Mike it's too late for pollarding, and the followup seems doubtful by anyone who's thinking about that yellow line.
And yes thin/raise those Doug firs, unless that growth is more valuable to you than cherry flowers.
re those, check the most important part of the tree--the rootzone. Get the soil tested (free in most states), and add what it needs.

Latest posts

Back