Id like to install a small wood burning stove..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wicked500R

Wicked500R

ArboristSite Guru
Ok, ive been thinking about installing a small wood burning stove in my living room. I dont even know where to begin on the process of doing so. Thought I would ask here. I am sure I would need a permit and other stuff. The location would be on a second floor on an outer wall. I was thinking the flu pipe can go right out the wall and up the side of the house to above the roof line. Any recommendations on the process to get started? Thanks

homemade

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Lots of questions need answered. How big of a house?
What are you intending on heating (one room or floor or whole house)? If your trying to heat more then one room or two, be prepared to have box or pedestal fans blowing heat around.
What is your availability to acquire fire wood?
If this is to take the chill out of a bedroom, then are you comfortable with the bedroom reaching 85* with a good fire and the first floor living room being only 60*?

I would suggest talking to a local carpenter or hvac just to help you into the right direction. They will usually quote/advise a job for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wicked500R

Wicked500R

ArboristSite Guru
Lots of questions need answered. How big of a house?
What are you intending on heating (one room or floor or whole house)? If your trying to heat more then one room or two, be prepared to have box or pedestal fans blowing heat around.
What is your availability to acquire fire wood?
If this is to take the chill out of a bedroom, then are you comfortable with the bedroom reaching 85* with a good fire and the first floor living room being only 60*?

I would suggest talking to a local carpenter or hvac just to help you into the right direction. They will usually quote/advise a job for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My living room,kitchen/dining room is one big area and then 3 bedrooms down the hall. Ranch style but on 2nd floor. Heat up the big area and see how it works into the bedrooms. A fan to blow the heat down the hall would be fine if needed. I have access to plenty of firewood. And part of the reason for doing this is so I have an excuse to buy and play with more chainsaws..lol

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
You'll also need to protect the wall and floor. You can tear out the drywall and floor and install tile or something expensive (but nice) and non-flammable, or you can get a cheaper (uglier) floor protector, and install something over the wall so there is an air gap. Sorry I don't know the terminology, and I'm too lazy to look things up right now.

The chimney has to be a certain distance away from windows and doors, but since it's already on an upper floor, that won't be a problem. You might want to consider having it go straight out through the roof instead of out the wall.

Chimney must be a certain height above the roofline, depending on your roof slope and other factors.

Lot of unknowns in this answer, but it might help you along a bit.