ID this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
playback

playback

ArboristSite Lurker
c47282d8f7559e6fc9622b1b34032e1e.jpg

Someone left this at the wood dump. The leaves were somewhat elongated/pointy, not like maple leaves or anything wide like that.

I tried to google some logs with bright red rings/circles but didn't come up with much.

I thought maybe box elder but it doesn't quite match it perfectly? Or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pweber

pweber

ArboristSite Operative
Definitely box elder. I tried harvesting a few rounds last year. For me it turned out to be rubbish. After letting it season for a few months I put it through my log splitter and it just crumbled to pieces. Hopefully it will work out better for you.

playback

playback

ArboristSite Lurker
Hmm i don't remember it having a smell. Thanks for the heads up with it. I notice a piece I cut was really soft and almost seemed like it was sawdust inside. It was towards the base and I figured it was just rot. It liked like part of the tree was dying and it ended up splitting and falling over in a storm.

haveawoody

haveawoody

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fred Flintstone made wheels with box elder so when he ran things over it was difficult to tell.
Best use for it also since even Fred burnt better wood even in the cave days. :)

Split it small and use it as shoulder wood, similar btu as silver maple.
Split as normal size it burns quite poorly and smoke is gawd awful stinky.

WoodTick007

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am not a fan of Box Elder. It burns and decays quickly. I find that way below burning pine or balsa wood with regards to burning qualities. Is it possible to take it back to the dump without a charge?

walnut1

walnut1

ArboristSite Lurker
c47282d8f7559e6fc9622b1b34032e1e.jpg

Someone left this at the wood dump. The leaves were somewhat elongated/pointy, not like maple leaves or anything wide like that.

I tried to google some logs with bright red rings/circles but didn't come up with much.

I thought maybe box elder but it doesn't quite match it perfectly? Or not...

Maples' poor relation........

Latest posts