ID this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playback

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
c47282d8f7559e6fc9622b1b34032e1e.jpg

Someone left this at the wood dump. The leaves were somewhat elongated/pointy, not like maple leaves or anything wide like that.

I tried to google some logs with bright red rings/circles but didn't come up with much.

I thought maybe box elder but it doesn't quite match it perfectly? Or not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely box elder. I tried harvesting a few rounds last year. For me it turned out to be rubbish. After letting it season for a few months I put it through my log splitter and it just crumbled to pieces. Hopefully it will work out better for you.

Hmm i don't remember it having a smell. Thanks for the heads up with it. I notice a piece I cut was really soft and almost seemed like it was sawdust inside. It was towards the base and I figured it was just rot. It liked like part of the tree was dying and it ended up splitting and falling over in a storm.

Get it c/s/s as soon as possible so it doesn't go punky on ya. It will also help with the smell. About in the middle as BTUs go.

Fred Flintstone made wheels with box elder so when he ran things over it was difficult to tell.
Best use for it also since even Fred burnt better wood even in the cave days. :)

Split it small and use it as shoulder wood, similar btu as silver maple.
Split as normal size it burns quite poorly and smoke is gawd awful stinky.

Oh it did stink when I split it. Smelled like something curled up and died inside the tree. Then the tree ate it and fed it to the rest of the tree.

Box elder...the pink streaks are caused by a fungus that grows in it...burns fast...lots of ashes and very little coals, rots quick too

I am not a fan of Box Elder. It burns and decays quickly. I find that way below burning pine or balsa wood with regards to burning qualities. Is it possible to take it back to the dump without a charge?

c47282d8f7559e6fc9622b1b34032e1e.jpg

Someone left this at the wood dump. The leaves were somewhat elongated/pointy, not like maple leaves or anything wide like that.

I tried to google some logs with bright red rings/circles but didn't come up with much.

I thought maybe box elder but it doesn't quite match it perfectly? Or not...

Maples' poor relation........

Wood turners like it because of the red color. I have seen some bowls made from box elder and they are beautiful.

Back