ID This Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
was wondering if anyone can id this wood i found while out in the bush yesterday. it has a very pungent/sweet smell. the pic don't show the color too well, but it is a pale yellow with darker streaks. burns ok with a sweet almost cinnamon smell. never seen it before. sorry no bark was on the log. sweet gum maybe?

no, its definately not maple. i cut alot of maple, hard and soft. i've cut firewood for dang near 40 years and never seen this before.

seems like that would be pretty hard to id without seeing any bark or leaves or the tree itself. It looks pretty soft, and it definitely doesnt look like any maple. I haven't dealt too much with chestnuts but that is definitely a possibility. Give us some more info on it so we can better decide. More pics?

i don't think its poplar. and i didn't know we had any aspen here in michigan. i'm a cabinetmaker and i use alot of poplar for drawers and such and it don't smell nothing like this. unless it goes through some kind of change when it's kiln dried. there was no bark on the log. i found it laying down in the woods. i'll plane down a piece so you can see the face grain. maybe someone can id it then.

on second thought, now i think it may be yellow poplar. i got a few culled boards in the rack that look alot like it. sure don't smell like poplar. almost has a minty smell to it.

Looks like poplar to me, too, not typical as it seems like a particularly gnarly section.

Last edited:
Balsam Poplar

I'd be willing to bet anything that it's Balsam Poplar.
(Populus balsamifera Linnaeus)
And yes, poplars a very common throughout Mich.

Husky137 said POPPLE, not POPLAR. They are two completely different things. It definitely doesn't look like poplar to me. I would go with either popple or some species of pine.

well i been studying up tryin to learn more about species. i guess aspen and popple, poplar, cottonwood and a few others are all in the same family of willow. man there is a lot to know. i been a woodworker for over 30 years and i can tell most north american woods when i mill them, but my knowledge of species is very limited, at best. all this studying done gimme a headache, so i'm gonna go do what any normal wood chopper does, fire up my dual port 066 Magnum with 16'' bar and full chisel and buck me up some more
aspenpopplercottonwood. the rush always cures the headache.

was wondering if anyone can id this wood i found while out in the bush yesterday. it has a very pungent/sweet smell. the pic don't show the color too well, but it is a pale yellow with darker streaks. burns ok with a sweet almost cinnamon smell. never seen it before. sorry no bark was on the log. sweet gum maybe?

Kinda looks close to some Green Ash I just cut. It also has a sweet spicy smell when burning. I've also noticed this Ashturns darker brown from the outside - in. I noticed the wood in the photo has browned on the outside.

Latest posts

Back