ID this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liberty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure what its. Its color is somewhat orange /brown Please Id if you can. On a second note,(save a posting) what kind of fluid do you prefer in your log splitter? Hydraulic or Dexron III. Hydraulic seems to give my pump some noise especially when cold.

Not sure what its. Its color is somewhat orange /brown Please Id if you can. On a second note,(save a posting) what kind of fluid do you prefer in your log splitter? Hydraulic or Dexron III. Hydraulic seems to give my pump some noise especially when cold.

Check with your pump manufacturer for what they are recommending. The same with your cylinder manufacturer.

Fluid choice is optional. I can choose either according to the manufacture. Which is better?

Hard to say. ATF has dye added for color and has some friction modifiers which aren't needed for your application.

I'd bet hydraulic fluid is a bit thicker. I'd probably go with it myself.

Fluid choice is optional. I can choose either according to the manufacture. Which is better?

When are you going to be using the splitter the most?? In cool to cold weather I would recomment ATF. In temperate to hot climates I would go with the hydraulic oil. Though the ATF will work well in the summer too. I think that the ATF has more anti-foaming properties in it too though.

Aint growin like Locust. Locust grows straight or leans a little. Too many croctchity limbs, my guess is like the others, Mulberry!:chainsaw:

When are you going to be using the splitter the most?? In cool to cold weather I would recomment ATF. In temperate to hot climates I would go with the hydraulic oil. Though the ATF will work well in the summer too. I think that the ATF has more anti-foaming properties in it too though.

I use ATF summer and winter in my splitter and in the loader on my tractor.

Oak?

I cut up an oak blowdown that looked like that. The center was punky but still hard and the outside 2-3"s was good wood. Shame since it was about 36" diameter and about 30' till the first branch. Looked just like your wood.

Looks like osage orange to me, also called bodark or bois d'arc - bark matches too. Does it first look deep yellow, then darkens after few days? Have you tried burning any yet? This stuff will throw a lot of sparks due to the oils.

It is Mulberry. When freshly the wood will be yellow, and then turn orange later. It is a great firewood that I have found takes 2 good years to get the best out of it. If you try to burn it when even a little unseasoned it can make you a little upset, especially at 3 in the morning.

It was very yellow first and then darkened. This tree was from north NJ. I didn't think osage orange had a range there.

Here's osage orange for ya.

attachment.php

Like the others. I'd say mulberry. It is closely related to osage orange.

Back