ID this wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's Mullbery, one of my favorite woods, moreso than oak. But dont stack it close to the house. Roaches like it quite well too. They winter in the hollows protected from the cold with plenty to eat.
The bark isnt the same as Osage Orange and it's too thick for that size of log. That wood doesnt have that even brighter orange 'glow'. I've never seen OO with a hollow center , it doesnt rot.

I've head the same about using Mulberry to bar-b-que, supposed to be a better flavor the Apple. It splits so easily. All mine gets split with a single bit axe. I save the small wedges that come off when your first whack is off by about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the natural crack. They hold up well when I get into a tough fork. Or working to fell a 'leaner' without it easing back onto the bar.

It does throw sparks when smoldering in the stove and fresh air suddenly hits it. What you do have there is some really nice wood for heating. Grows big, grows fast, works easily and burns hot. What else could you ask for from your wood ?

It was very yellow first and then darkened. This tree was from north NJ. I didn't think osage orange had a range there.

I haven't cut any mulberry, and I didn't know how fresh your cuts are so I'll go with the experts here. We have a lot of osage here so I don't know why you would not find it in NJ. Actually both trees are from the same family - Moraceae.

Would this be red mulberry?

Latest posts

Back