Ideas for heating my garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
temporary heat I'd lean towards the screw on propane tank heaters....OP wants a wood appliance in the end. Code around here for wood fueled heat in a garage is 18" above the floor (I'd never consider storing gasoline in a space with an open flame however)

I can’t run anything on the ceiling. My trucks have high clearance. I want to have a wood stove since firewood is “free” for myself. I have an endless supply of raw material. I just need something to get me through this winter until I can get someone to install a stove pipe for my wood stove. This radiant pole sounds nice but I should have clarified that I’m looking for something on the cheap and not necessarily efficient.

I use a Reddy heater to warm the shop quickly while getting the stove going.

I can’t run anything on the ceiling. My trucks have high clearance. I want to have a wood stove since firewood is “free” for myself. I have an endless supply of raw material. I just need something to get me through this winter until I can get someone to install a stove pipe for my wood stove. This radiant pole sounds nice but I should have clarified that I’m looking for something on the cheap and not necessarily efficient.

My insurance company was OK with wood stoves as long as: YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING WITH COMBUSTIBLES IN IT. There is nothing in the garage that doesn't have combustibles in it.

I live in an area of the country where we have little to no regulations and codes. If the insurance well go for it, we can do it and honestly lots of rednecks don't bother with insurance either. I am sure you have more hoops to jump thru than I do so check the rules before you do anything I say.

The simple way of getting around the wood fire in a garage issue is to have the fire outside. Whether that is OWB or forced air furnace, put the fire in a separate shed or building and pump the heat in from there. An OWB can be expensive as can a high end furnace, but you also have not mentioned your temperature goal. If you are are looking for 70 in the garage when it is 0 outside your stove requirements will be huge. If you are only looking to keep it above freezing on a cold night, you can get by much smaller and cheaper. You might even find a used furnace for cheap, but you may be on your own for installation.

There are houses around here that have their furnace or boiler in the garage and by code they have to be 24 inches off the ground. I'm not sure y it would be any different for a wood stove. But lots of people have stoves in the garage and they sit on the ground so idk if their insurance knows about it or not. My basement is half of my garage. My garage is under my house and they are separated by a dry wall wall and a wood door and all my insurance asked was if I had any fire places in the house. I told them I had a wood furnace. They never asked about the location of it. I dont think my wood door with a single pane glass window is considered a fire door.

I've been trying to figure out how to heat my barn affordably for the past 2 years. I did put radiant tubes in the slab but have not liked the prices I've been getting to install the boiler. One really cool option that a local heating company offered was a portable construction propane heater they custom build that is like a frost fighter. 150,000 BTU all built and delivered for $1800. You run the supply air and exhaust in flexible hoses out a window. It's basically a FHA furnace they make portable.

Latest posts

Back